Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

:hugs Sorry about you're roo
Thanks he was gorgeous. He's the little guy front and center. I was tube feeding him and giving meds, and dewormer but he wasn't pulling through.

20191228_100522~3.jpg

Sooo how bad is it to candle your eggs during lockdown? :oops: I broke down and did and my one egg that I've been super positive about the whole hatch, was always moving in the shell isn't moving and I could see what looks like blood in there...

As long as there aren't any external pips it should be ok. Once I'm concerned about eggs in a hatch, candling, lightly tapping and listening for peeps are some of the first things I do. I've never seen what looked like blood when candling but it's possible the chick pipped through a blood vessel when internally pipping. It's not usually a death sentence when this happens but it might be worth putting a small safety hole in the air cell if you're concerned the chick might not be strong enough to pip because of it. Or you can just wait and see what happens! Sometimes it's hard to say! I'm not feeling confident about my repaired crack egg as of checking yesterday but I left it in the incubator. I would love for it to prove me wrong!

I'm baking 22 to eggs at the moment. Have two incubators going, one with 12 eggs and the other with 10. I think I messed up big time on the first one with 12 eggs, Forgot to replace the lid after airing them and then I forgot to plug the turner back in. (I should be in incubator jail for doing that, I've probably killed them! ) The second incubator is my backup plan. So maybe something will hatch on the 21 of March and if not, the other batch is due on the 30th....will report back, if I belong in jail..lol

I'm baking 22 to eggs at the moment. Have two incubators going, one with 12 eggs and the other with 10. I think I messed up big time on the first one with 12 eggs, Forgot to replace the lid after airing them and then I forgot to plug the turner back in. (I should be in incubator jail for doing that, I've probably killed them! ) The second incubator is my backup plan. So maybe something will hatch on the 21 of March and if not, the other batch is due on the 30th....will report back, if I belong in jail..lol

I've seen eggs survive some crazy stuff! You never know! Maybe it will just be a slightly lower hatch rate but you'll still get peeps. Fingers crossed! :fl

Do you know.. I turned the eggs about half ten this am and forgot to turn the incubator back on :barnie. The temperature had dropped to 28.C over about an hour and a half. Shouldn't be a problem just like mother hen going on her break. But I'm annoyed at myself. Told DH to check the red numbers are on whenever he walks past the incubator incase I forget again.

Back
Top Bottom