Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

Hi! I'm jumping in with this too! (Even though the month is almost over.) I've had my silkies hatch out quail before, but this time it's actual chicken eggs. My smallest grey silkie Oreo has become terribly broody so I ordered some really interesting bantam eggs, Double Silver-laced Barnvelders. I'll attach a photo of the parents posted by the breeder.

So today 4 eggs went under my silkie, and 9 went into my new incubator. It's a Janoel-12 model. Really not sure if I calibrated the temp right but we'll eventually find out. I'm very excited!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi! I'm jumping in with this too! (Even though the month is almost over.) I've had my silkies hatch out quail before, but this time it's actual chicken eggs. My smallest grey silkie Oreo has become terribly broody so I ordered some really interesting bantam eggs, Double Silver-laced Barnvelders. I'll attach a photo of the parents posted by the breeder.

So today 4 eggs went under my silkie, and 9 went into my new incubator. It's a Janoel-12 model. Really not sure if I calibrated the temp right but we'll eventually find out. I'm very excited!
Feel free to join us on the April 2020 thread, too!

I have 3 Silver double laced Barnevelder eggs in the incubator that are part of a potluck auction. They are beautiful birds and I can't wait for them to hatch! Good luck!

I have 3 Silver double laced Barnevelder eggs in the incubator that are part of a potluck auction. They are beautiful birds and I can't wait for them to hatch! Good luck!
Thanks! Yes, they're such pretty birds! Originally I planned on a different breed, but when I saw a bantam version of these beauties for sale my heart caved in and I had to get them. Happy hatching to you, too!

Because it pipped on the bottom it made both the internal and external pip in one go so you'll want to allow it twice as long to hatch, which it sounds like you're quickly approaching.
IF you decide to assist you still want to open the air cell first, like you would assist with a chick that isn't upside-down. This way you can look at the interior membrane by applying antibiotic ointment without pain reliever or coconut oil with a q-tip.

I can't remember if we've discussed whether you've done an assisted hatch before.

This is an example of a chick that was pipped in the small end and I opened the air cell to make sure it was actually ready for assisting. This one had started to zip and got stuck but I still checked first to be sure.

View attachment 2065167
Thank you, I will try to assist the hatch

Back
Top Bottom