Tis Time for a March 2020 Hatch-a-long!

They're going to be beautiful!!! Your little yellow chick looks like the Olive Egger under my broody actually!
I should try harder to figure out which colors my olive eggers lay. One looks like an Ameraucana/Marans cross (I think she lays a brown egg) and the other looks legbar based (I think she lays a white egg but I could be wrong. She is very petite and all of my brown eggs are big except for the pullet eggs). This chick came from a brown egg, but it looks nothing like any of the chickens I have that lay brown eggs! Part of the fun of barnyard mixes, I guess :).

Here are all the babies that have hatched so far. It is 11 by my count but it might be 15 its been a long day and night.

IMG_0649.JPG

How'd you get that name
I was going to go with a tea theme. Haha. Oolong was another one, and Steeper....

But unfortunately Crumpet did not make it through the night. :( not sure what happened but poor little thing just kind of faded instead of perking up. Smelled weird too. I don’t know what was going on with him... 😭 so I’m left with just Kermit (who also decided to try to die when I was at work that same day, stuck himself between the waterer and the door and got all hypothermic... thankfully I have a camera on the brooder so I looked and saw him passed out stuck and left work and came and got him. Thankfully got there in time. Shoved him in my shirt and went back to work.) I have a frizzle chick with my name on it from another local person, because no way is this poor guy going to have to wait all by himself for the 3 weeks when the ducks are due to hatch. :(

I was going to go with a tea theme. Haha. Oolong was another one, and Steeper....

But unfortunately Crumpet did not make it through the night. :( not sure what happened but poor little thing just kind of faded instead of perking up. Smelled weird too. I don’t know what was going on with him... 😭 so I’m left with just Kermit (who also decided to try to die when I was at work that same day, stuck himself between the waterer and the door and got all hypothermic... thankfully I have a camera on the brooder so I looked and saw him passed out stuck and left work and came and got him. Thankfully got there in time. Shoved him in my shirt and went back to work.) I have a frizzle chick with my name on it from another local person, because no way is this poor guy going to have to wait all by himself for the 3 weeks when the ducks are due to hatch. :(
I'm so sorry about crumpet! Y'all that go to work and brood chicks at the same time are super heroes, I'd be worried sick about them all day.

Here is baby 4, all fluffed up! She came from a brown egg and looks pretty much exactly like the yellow fluff that's with the broody hen, who also hatched from a brown egg.
20200401_211513.jpg
That's a 50% hatch rate (one quitter, and the last 3 were DIS). That's not too great, so I'm thinking I am going to change up my method for the next hatch and not go so dry (which is going to be a CHORE in the Janoel). I intentionally ran this hatch super dry to see if it could work for me. My first hatch was a little more successful, and still pretty dry.

I'm so sorry about crumpet! Y'all that go to work and brood chicks at the same time are super heroes, I'd be worried sick about them all day.
That’s why I have wifi cameras set up. Haha! Otherwise I think my boss would get pretty fed up with me running back and forth to check on things. 😝 I got a great deal on those cameras and they have an intercom feature so I can talk to little Kermit during the day. It’s extremely entertaining to watch him get all excited and dance around the camera. 😂

Back
Top Bottom