Tissue/Meat inside odd shaped/colored egg

Blessedwithhens

Songster
Feb 21, 2021
I found this under my hen today.
History:
On 9/24-9/26 city spray for mosquitoes at night, brought hens in. No oyster shells for 3-4 days during that time, but put food and water out with them each day at daybreak.
on 10/2 I found hen on roosting bar with soft shell hanging off her and yolk and white under her. Took egg shell off her (shoudve checked if still partially in vent or just hanging off feathers but I didn’t)
On 10/4 our vet opened back up and I took her in, vet suspected oviduct infection and put her on clavacillin 250 mg every 12 hours
On 10/5 she had brown water stool, vet said skip a dose so we did
10/6 she got full dose again, brown water stool, vet said skip a dose so we did
10/7 full dose, water stool again
10/8 hen not alert as usual, just standing there staring off, took her in to vet, vet gave SubQ fluids, switched her to Tylan because jen not doing well with clavacillin
10/9 gave hen break from meds for a day, hen not alert as usual
10/10 Brown water stool, hen not as alert as usual, gave 250mg tylan
10/11 hen not alert as usual, gave 250 mg tylan
10/12 hen not alert as usual, found the meaty egg under her in yard, no tylan yet

at vets advice ive been bringing hen in house at 5:30 each night since 10/4 to reduce sunlight to reduce egg production. This is the first I’ve seen her “lay an egg type thing” since the soft egg 1 week and 3 days ago.
On 10/4 vet felt in vent with finger and externally around abdomen, all she said she felt was poop. No xrays taken
Also been giving the hens probiotics and electrolytes in water save-a-chick brand

I measured out the 250mg of tylan powder in 7 days worth of baggies and added it to food mash first day, she didn’t eat it all. Put it in water and syringed it to her yesterday- in case I were wondering how im dosing her.

hens solids poops have been smaller, and just now 10/12 at 11:25am she pooped that image- urine and poop almost look separated…

she is eating on her own, I have had to entice her a couple of times with a food mash, and she is pecking at ground while free ranging here and there, but neither at her usual pace.

what is going on with my girl? She is my favorite hen, I am so worried

Attachments

• 6C6DD084-BFC4-402F-942E-8BC045A05FDD.jpeg
    6C6DD084-BFC4-402F-942E-8BC045A05FDD.jpeg
    695.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 63DED7DD-C66D-4ECD-B586-1E9736884A82.jpeg
    63DED7DD-C66D-4ECD-B586-1E9736884A82.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 78DD0B41-87F6-4FF4-BFEE-6E5E75A62451.jpeg
    78DD0B41-87F6-4FF4-BFEE-6E5E75A62451.jpeg
    279.8 KB · Views: 3
  • C0C76CA5-C601-423D-B0B9-3BD592A69FA3.jpeg
    C0C76CA5-C601-423D-B0B9-3BD592A69FA3.jpeg
    415 KB · Views: 3
  • 7EB50B97-5C03-483A-886D-6BB8BAAC252E.jpeg
    7EB50B97-5C03-483A-886D-6BB8BAAC252E.jpeg
    498.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 3E8134C4-6246-4758-B9AE-44A965AF39AF.jpeg
    3E8134C4-6246-4758-B9AE-44A965AF39AF.jpeg
    846.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
The meaty egg-like thing your hen laid looks like it could be a lash egg (a symptom of salpingitis, the oviduct infection). A lash egg is essentially a pus-filled mass.

This article - written by a vet - may be helpful, and has additional info and photos. Best wishes for your hen's recovery.

It's is at the vet now. They had me drop her off. They will do X-rays. I’m not sure it’s lash egg, it wasn’t puss, it looked like meat (tuna texture) inside a rolled up soft piece of shell (like the softer part of a snow crab arm, bendy and creased easily) with lots of color pigment on it. I think it’s a piece of left over egg shell likely from the egg dropping incident with tissue in it, but why? Why did it take so long to come out? What do you think of Tylan powder antibiotic to treat this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hen is at the vet now. They had me drop her off. They will do X-rays. I’m not sure it’s lash egg, it wasn’t puss, it looked like meat (tuna texture) inside a rolled up soft piece of shell (like the softer part of a snow crab arm, bendy and creased easily) with lots of color pigment on it. I think it’s a piece of left over egg shell likely from the egg dropping incident with tissue in it, but why? Why did it take so long to come out? What do you think of Tylan powder antibiotic to treat this?
It's anyone's guess as to which reproduction tract problem she has but if you would like to learn about each start reading here...

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system

Yes. I give them dried meal worms daily. 20-30 each-ish
I would stop offering all treats immediately until you find out exactly what this particular bird's problem is.
If it if it takes a knee cropsey to find out the problem.

Overfeeding treats is extremely common and easy to do.
When birds do not get a complete balanced diet you are much more likely to see problems like your seeing.

The commercially made pelleted or crumbled type feed is a complete balanced diet in itself.

I would stop offering all treats immediately until you find out exactly what this particular bird's problem is.

When birds do not get a complete balanced diet you are much more likely to see problems like your seeing.

The commercially made pelleted or crumbled type feed is a complete balanced diet in itself.
Thank you Kiki, you replied to a post earlier this week, and since i have drastically reduced the treats. I did have to try to entice her to eat the food with Tylan in it last night with 10-ish worms, but she did not eat the food. So i started over and put the 250mg of Tylan in water and syringed it to her instead. I’m so worried. 😢

She is eating Natures Best Organic layer feed from Tractor supply. what do you think of that food?

Back
Top Bottom