To all irresponsible dog owners; UPDATE; THE LEGACY CONTINUES!!!!!

Quote:
I agree that livestock guardian animals are the best way to go if you can afford one and/or have the space for one. It takes a lot more room to house a donkey and you can't keep one in a coop with the chickens. A guardian dog is probably the best solution but again....a dog is a long-term commitment and takes a while to grow it up and train it to do it's job. LGDs do not automatically know how to take care of the animals they are supposed to protect and must be closely watched when they are pups. American Bulldogs would not be good LDG because they have too strong of a prey drive. A better choice would be a great Pyrenees or Anatolian shepherd or similar breed.

Quote:
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. I have only experienced "scaring them away" working a couple of times. They will come back unless the experience or location is associated with pain or discomfort.

Actually, they won't if you do it right. We have kept chickens for six years. Have never had a problem
with a predator continually coming back. We make sure our flock has a place to roost at night that
is as safe as we can make it, we have a dog and barn cats, and we have roosters to help protect
the flock during the day, and I suppose the peacocks might help as a deterrent, too.

FIRST EGG HATCHED THIS MORNING, DAY 24
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
Baby is asleep in the brooder
box now with stuffed lion for company. Pictures to follow later!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom