To all the experience quail breeder!

You have A&Ms if i remember correctly so youll have to sex every bird the hard way. Vent sexing wont do you any good, if theyre laying eggs already theyre breeding and youll find foam in the hens vents as well as the roo. Basically just wait for roosters to crow or mate females and then remove that rooster till youve got them all.

It is a very serious method for sexing quail but it requires a reasonable constitution if you have too many quail and shouldnt be undertaken lightly. Components required include; lawn chair, ice chest, and a lot of beer. Sit in lawn chair, apply ice cold beer liberally and watch for birds to do stuff that only males or females do ie crowing or laying an egg. If enough beer is applied you will be satified with your results regardless of their correctness.

The beer is to applied to the human participant. It already costs enough to feed them, dont want them getting a drinking habit too
1f609.png

Just check how wide apart the pelvic bones are, just hold against your tummy, reach under and gently place feel for the 2 bones that come down towards the vent and apply slight pressure to see where they are. Close together, male or female not laying,spread apart, then have recently, or will very soon lay an egg. I sex my Texas A & M that way and check my pullets to see who has started laying in that way too.

Back
Top Bottom