*****To all you newbies!!!*****

I agree with all that you just said!

• Yes, I agree!

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • No, I don't. (Please explain why below)

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Hu? I don't understand.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
About four years ago I had a pine marten break in through chicken wire and kill two of my favourite birds. They do it for fun.

I could also show where chicken wire failed, and where it held. Balanced views needed.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ness-of-hardware-cloth.1019186/#post-15803630

just built mine.

welded wire for the run, hardware cloth for coop windows.
and i have some chicken wire for the roof of the run.

also going to be putting motion lights around the run.

i have coyotes, skunks, and bird of prey in the area... and a few bears.

got no defense vs bears but me, which has me a bit concerned.
i might have to add electric fencing, but not in the budget. :S

also cause of covid, cant kill the bears. >.<

I agree, but use all 3 for different levels of security. Rreal new at this. Just built 16x24 8’ high foot run. Solid framing with galvanized 1”x1” welded wire For walls and roof. 18” HWC predator skirt, chicken wire for temporary pens only and 3 sided 8x8’ Roofed storage structure Where the auto feeder and auto water is housed. And the chickens can have added outdoor shelter from sun or rain, besides their coop 😎. My 10 chickens Coup With nesting boxes is inside the run. We have coyotes, skunk, possum, and hawks. So wanted to make sure it was predator free, Large locking gate on Run. Do you think my chickens are safe? The chicken wire did not keep my chickens in or my dogs out 😊 Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited:
Question from the antipodes here.

Can someone explain to me why you call it hardware cloth?? Seems anything like cloth to me. 😄
Bit like how you call petroleum 'gas' and artificial grass turf. Lol.

Looks like what we call aviary mesh down under... Gal steel construcrion. 1.2mm gauge. welded not twisted? Depending on tje size of your run can add pretty quickly, not cheap.

I'm planning to use chicken wire to cover my run , mainly for keeping my birds in and for keeping wild birds out and stealing feed. Flock is locked away in a predator proof coop at night. Biggest daytime predator threat we have are birds of prey....

Back
Top Bottom