To be or not to be broody

PeaFan

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
My peahen has 12 eggs in her nest, yesterday she sat on them all day and then came out to eat. She then decided to roost outside with the male for the night.
Is there some kind of pattern they go through when going broody? Did she decide she didn’t like sitting on the nest all day? Also, because she sat on the eggs all day and then left them- does that somehow make the eggs no good anymore?
This is the first interest she has shown in her eggs in the 3 yrs I have had her. She is only 4 yrs old.
Thanks for any insight!

She is trying to decide if she wants to set or not. Did she place the eggs in the nest or did you? Does she cover them up with litter like she is trying to hide them or insulate them while she is off? 12 eggs is pretty much the max number of eggs a peahen can cover and some of them are getting close to being too old to be viable, this is why I date the eggs as they are laid. I remove any eggs that are over ten days old from the nest so the hen does not waste time and space with eggs that might not develop.

She is trying to decide if she wants to set or not. Did she place the eggs in the nest or did you? Does she cover them up with litter like she is trying to hide them or insulate them while she is off? 12 eggs is pretty much the max number of eggs a peahen can cover and some of them are getting close to being too old to be viable, this is why I date the eggs as they are laid. I remove any eggs that are over ten days old from the nest so the hen does not waste time and space with eggs that might not develop.
Thank you for replying!
She is back in the nest today. She did put the eggs there and yes she covers them a little. Last season I dated eggs and moved them around - this time I tried not to interfere to see if what I was doing was deterring her.
I know that probably half of them will not develop, I left them all for the same reason-last season I probably did too much. I probably need to find out what is enough for me to keep track and not bother her with what I am doing.
Should I candle them in a couple weeks and take out the bad? Could that make her abandon the rest?

Thank you for replying!
She is back in the nest today. She did put the eggs there and yes she covers them a little. Last season I dated eggs and moved them around - this time I tried not to interfere to see if what I was doing was deterring her.
I know that probably half of them will not develop, I left them all for the same reason-last season I probably did too much. I probably need to find out what is enough for me to keep track and not bother her with what I am doing.
Should I candle them in a couple weeks and take out the bad? Could that make her abandon the rest?
Yes candle the eggs after two weeks of her going broody. You will notice when she gets off to eat and poo, take about half of them, candle and mark them. The next day get the rest and do it again. She will be loyal to the nest and won't mind you too much. When returning the eggs, if she does not get off the nest put the eggs near her and let her pull them back into the nest. Do this when it is warm outside.

Back
Top Bottom