To be, or not to be?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by skastarscare, Nov 4, 2009.

1. skastarscare

skastarscare New Egg

Nov 3, 2009
    Okay so I'm currently starting the building process of my hen house/chicken run, my question is this... Can 4 chickens and a duck live together? Is it best for them to be seperate? Will they be able to sleep in the hen house together or is seperate housing needed? What kind of adjustments need to be made to my floor plans for the coop/run? Is it the same living space ratio? I have my heart set on khaki campbells for my ducks and decided on astralorp chickens. If they can be house together, is there anything I should know or take into consideration before I get my flock? Does there poop pose any haazards to my 3 year old or any future children when I allow them to free range in my backyard?

2. deanna&rich

deanna&rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    chimacum, WA
    There are a lot of helpful posts in the archives answering your questions, just use the "search" button at top right of page.

My ducks don't mind hanging out near my chickens during the day, but they don't like living together ... they have very different needs and habitats.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would not house them together. I have khakis and although they do not mind the chickens when they are out free ranging they dont do so well close together. My rooster is also not a big fan of the ducks and will sometimes attack them if they get to close. Also keeping them together means a big mess if you provide inside water for the chickens, the ducks will get into it and get the bedding wet. I have found it easier to just keep them apart.

Edited to add that the poop in the yard shouldnt pose a big threat if its not building up. If they are just getting out in the yard for a few hours a day and are in a run other than that like mine are you wont even notice poop in the yard. At least I havnt!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  4. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    My duks and chickens like to forage together, but I would not and do not house them together at night. My ducks like cold, wet weather and the hens prefer dry, warm environment.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

you have one duck. I imagine they already hang out together and have some sort of relationship/pecking order established. I cannot give an opinion based on experience, but I can't see it posing any sort of problem. The only difference I've read about is that you most likely will want to keep feed/water out of the coop at night since ducks are extremely messy with their water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by