To Be Spraddle Leg or Not to Be. That is the Question.

we2hens

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 15, 2012
I have a day and a half old chick still in the incubator. It's legs are very far apart. Not as far apart as all the pics I have seen of spraddle legs where they are sticking straight out to the sides, but when it stands up the legs are a lot farther apart than my other "normal" chicks.

Is spraddle leg always where their legs are sticking out to the sides or are there varying degrees?

He also acts like every little movement is so exhausting like he just ran 5 miles or something. The other chick was not like this. Do I have a problem child on my hands? It took him over 40 hours to finally hatch so maybe he's just still pooped from that???

I'm very new at this and have been reading a lot about pretty much whatever I can get my hands on, but I'm not sure if I'm doing anything right.

Any ideas/thoughts??

I have not had to deal with Spraddle leg in any degree so not sure if there is varying amounts or not, but here is a link that may help.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry Hope this helps. And if it took him 40hrs to hatch may just need a little longer to get over it. Maybe try some poultry vitamins or save a chick to get him on his feet. and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom