To brine or not to brine...rangers...

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
Our Rangers have been free ranging 12 hours a day, and I don't want them to be tough. Do you recommend brining before roasting, and if so, how long, and what ratio of salt/ water?

OK, so, how did you keep them from *leaving*? We lost 5 yesterday when they decided to head down the road.

i brined one of my red broilers last week, and while it was juicier than not brined, the recipe that I got online used several herbs and the flavor was a bit strong. I did like the juicyness, as they were small broilers and can be dry.

Quote:
Well, my Rangers are in a 2 acre pasture actually- woven wire fence and they are too fat to squeeze through, not that they have tried. Mine dont like to get real far from teh barn-that is where the feeder is and they dont get it until night! I clap my hands and 100 fatsos come a running to the door!

Quote:
You didn't say how old they are. If they're standard butchering age, you shouldn't need to brine. If they're older, maybe so. I haven't raised rangers yet, so I'm just speaking of chickens in general. One of the other members who raise rangers can give you specifics about age.

They will be 11 weeks, whihc is the standard for them, but I have hear some say that because they are allowed alot of exercise, that can make them tough if you do not brine them.

If you must brine the ratio is 1 cup of salt to 1 gal water, disolve salt in warm water first cool then brine with ice in a cooler ( easiest way ).

Quote:
Good to know. Thank you.
smile.png
I guess I am concerned because this is the first time I have done this, and I am worried the people who are buying these might not be pleased with them, and thus will notbe return customers. Probably needless worry, but I am hoping to cover all my bases. Greyfields, your Rangers get to run around quite a bit, correct? And you have not had an issue with them being tough?

Back
Top Bottom