To BRINE or not to brine...that's the question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by carress, Oct 4, 2008.

1. carress

carress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Orange county NY
    I processed 3 roos today. I'm going to use one for chicken and dumplings - just in case they're tougher than heck.

I was going to brine, but I'm not sure if I need to since I'm making soup (I'll boil the bird).

So.. I was going to do it anyway, and then I realized I don't have any salt- other than what's in the shaker, and that's not much.

I think I have kosher salt in the back of a cabinet somewhere. I have a neighbor who will give me some salt, but I REALLY don't want ot ask unless it's necessary.

I do have seasoned salt too.. can you brine in a marinade of sorts.. to give the bird extra flavor?

I also have vinegar and wine (white, red and cooking).. there's aso some hard liquor.. after those 3 roos, maybe I'll have some..

Back to te topic at hand, What do I do?? What is NOT a good idea?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    if you are using for soup, i'd skip the brine. if roasting or baking, brine. frying works well with a brine or buttermilk soak.

hope your soup is delicious!

3. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Kosher salt is the best kind for brining!

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I'd brine, and Kosher salt if great! Use an equal amount of sugar in the brine, to cut the harshness of the salt. The purpose of brining (it works best with a cut-up bird, so the cut muscle is exposed to the brine) is to get sodium into the meat, to hold the moisture in the meat. Water follows salt. So if you boil an unbrined bird in salted water, much of the water in the meat will be drawn out during cooking, and you can end up with dry, stringy meat, even though you cooked it in water. Weird, but true.

I've seen it said that soaking a bird in ice water with no salt does the same thing, but it doesn't.

After brining, marinating in buttermilk overnight is helpful to tenderize a tough bird, especially if you cut it up first. It won't make a really tough bird a fryer, but will be very tasty.

The crock pot is my friend!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    My advice is to use the kosher salt in the brine and drink the wine. [​IMG]

6. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I dont brine when I am making a long cooking soup or stew, but I add lots of onions, celery, carrot and bay leaf for flavor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by