To BRINE or not to brine...that's the question

carress

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2008
Orange county NY
I processed 3 roos today. I'm going to use one for chicken and dumplings - just in case they're tougher than heck.

I was going to brine, but I'm not sure if I need to since I'm making soup (I'll boil the bird).

So.. I was going to do it anyway, and then I realized I don't have any salt- other than what's in the shaker, and that's not much.

I think I have kosher salt in the back of a cabinet somewhere. I have a neighbor who will give me some salt, but I REALLY don't want ot ask unless it's necessary.

I do have seasoned salt too.. can you brine in a marinade of sorts.. to give the bird extra flavor?

I also have vinegar and wine (white, red and cooking).. there's aso some hard liquor.. after those 3 roos, maybe I'll have some..

Back to te topic at hand, What do I do?? What is NOT a good idea?

if you are using for soup, i'd skip the brine. if roasting or baking, brine. frying works well with a brine or buttermilk soak.

hope your soup is delicious!

I'd brine, and Kosher salt if great! Use an equal amount of sugar in the brine, to cut the harshness of the salt. The purpose of brining (it works best with a cut-up bird, so the cut muscle is exposed to the brine) is to get sodium into the meat, to hold the moisture in the meat. Water follows salt. So if you boil an unbrined bird in salted water, much of the water in the meat will be drawn out during cooking, and you can end up with dry, stringy meat, even though you cooked it in water. Weird, but true.

I've seen it said that soaking a bird in ice water with no salt does the same thing, but it doesn't.

After brining, marinating in buttermilk overnight is helpful to tenderize a tough bird, especially if you cut it up first. It won't make a really tough bird a fryer, but will be very tasty.

The crock pot is my friend!

Last edited:
My advice is to use the kosher salt in the brine and drink the wine.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom