To bring, or not to bring... that is my question... (well, and how to bring)

gonzotroj

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2022
Hey!

I'm moving roughly 1800 miles away (3 states, or 22 through hours). I really want to bring my 2yo flock of 7 silkies with me (6 hens and a rooster). They are our pets! But I also want to respect the fact that from what information I could find online, the journey (which would take at least 5 days because I'm traveling with a 5yo) would be really stressful on them and I don't want them to die so that we can keep them. I'm looking for advice, ideally from someone who's been in the situation before but I'm open to anyone who can be compassionate and helpful. We will be traveling by car, towing my tiny camper.

1. :jumpyIs there a way I can bring them (ship them, crate them, etc...) that will be safe for them?

2. The only way I can bring the rooster is to find a transport company because there is no way I would make it to our destination without sending him off a cliff otherwise.... HAHA He's great for his ladies but the @sshole is loud! How would the ladies do without him if I had to rehome him?

Thank you in advance for your help!

The first thing is to find out if it's legal to transport chickens through all the states you are going to transit.

Especially in light of the current Avian Flu issues in parts of the US.
Good call! I didn't think about the states we are passing through, I was focused on the state we are moving to. Is there an easy way to find that out?

So, with my limited experience with transporting grown chickens is that they will handle it best during the night. Simply boxing them up in some cardboard boxes with pine bedding in your back seat (with some airholes, of course) will see them falling asleep for most of the ride. This also comes with the added bonus of them not needing food or water at this time.

Now, with you saying 22 hours of travel, this does complicate things a bit. Do you have some middle area that you can stop for a day to let them eat, drink and generally be chickens for some of the daylight hours? If you have a friend or relative that you can stop at, bring a couple collapsible dog crates for them to be stashed in out in the yard during the daylight hours. This will give them a chance to eat, drink and poop for a while. Then when they get tired again, back into the cardboard boxes and off you go to your destination.

I'd find another driver and drive it straight though. We've done 27 hours straight through with 8 kids in the car, multiple times. It's MUCH better to leave at about 3 pm and drive all night than taking multiple days. The kids sleep all night, and chickens will sleep all night. It's hard but if you can sleep when you arrive, it works.

If it takes 5 days I would not bring they but I couldn't take my own advice on this. I travel for 6 months to TN from FL and I do it in one night. It's 12 hours and I also bring 3 horses and a mini horse, a dog, a cat, a cockatoo, and a cockatiel. I have *currently 11* chickens and they travel in the goose neck of the horse trailer. I put a tarp down, and shavings, and keep them up there with a net or I get or make 1 or 2 EXTRA LARGE dog crates for them. I also have a roo but again they would not be in the car, and check on they every 3 or 4 hours. I haven't done it yet but that's my plan. I travel at night so it's not hot and less stressful.

I just seen how old this thread is sorry I need to look better next time and did you take them?

If you discover that you cannot transport your existing flock due to avian flu restrictions etc., you might consider purchasing an incubator and taking some fertile hatching eggs from your birds with you to 'start anew' in your new home. It's a long trip, 22 hours, so in addition to packing the eggs very well, with the 'fat side' facing upwards, you might consider taking twice as many as you think you'll need to account for eggs that just don't survive the move.

Back
Top Bottom