To brood or not to brood...that is the question?

Dpennell

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2023
I have a hen that is acting peculiar. She isn't laying eggs or sitting on any eggs, however, she acts like she is. This hen has sat on the edge of the nest box for 4 days in a row. At first I would pick her up and put her on the ground at much protest from her. The following morning she would be in the exact same nest box sitting on the outer edge with a death grip. There is another hen that has been sitting on eggs for about 3 weeks now and seems to be doing well. We have had successful chicks in previous seasons with just the mother hen taking care of them. This one hen though... she has me scratching my head as to what the heck??? Any ideas anyone?

Attachments

• broody hen 01.jpg
    broody hen 01.jpg
    462.5 KB · Views: 9
  • broody hen 02.jpg
    broody hen 02.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 0
Is she puffing up and making broody sounds? Have you tried leaving eggs in that nest to see if she will set on them?
Yes she is puffing up and making broody sounds. I haven't left any eggs in the nest. I'll put a couple in tomorrow and see what that brings.

I have a hen that is acting peculiar. She isn't laying eggs or sitting on any eggs, however, she acts like she is. This hen has sat on the edge of the nest box for 4 days in a row. At first I would pick her up and put her on the ground at much protest from her. The following morning she would be in the exact same nest box sitting on the outer edge with a death grip. There is another hen that has been sitting on eggs for about 3 weeks now and seems to be doing well. We have had successful chicks in previous seasons with just the mother hen taking care of them. This one hen though... she has me scratching my head as to what the heck??? Any ideas anyone?
Well I left 3 eggs, I had to put her on them twice. She still insists on sitting on the rail of the nest box. I guess I'm just going to let her be her weird self and see what plays out. However, good news. I have a second one sitting on eggs just the other side of her.:D

Back
Top Bottom