To Bubble wrap Or not to Bubble wrap?

Quote:
I agree it isn't all about bubble wrap. There has to be enough cushion in the box for them to ride as gently as possible and not hit the box or have major impact. You can wrap an egg in a lot of bubble wrap and drop it on the ground and the egg will break despite the bubble wrap.

Quote:
Thank goodness that is settled, at least. I think the original question had more to do with wondering whether the eggs needed oxygen on their journey. No scientific advice from anybody, but lots of experience with success (and failure) with or w/o bubble wrap as far as cushioning goes, as well as hatch rates.

I think it is interesting to hear about the many schemes we all go through to try to send the perfect package...as long as the eggs are cushioned and stable and the package marked up well, those little orbs have a wonderful chance at life!

Last edited:
Quote:
You can turn the box inside out and add "Priority Mail" stickers.

Actually that is illegal, and they may refuse the package if they suspect. Flat rate is only supposed to be used for flat rate and the same for priority. Though I have received priority in flat rate boxes.

I don't like the flat rate boxes too thin, I prefer the 12X12X8 for up to a dozen small or bantam eggs. I won't ship more than a dozen in a box. I prefer to send a double shipment, that one if one box is damaged, usually only one is damaged. I use two 12 inch lengths of bubble wrap and then wrap twice with paper and use one small piece of tape. I find unwrapping overly taped eggs a pain, and want it to be as easy as possible to unwrap. After all if the eggs make it there unscathed and then get broke or jostled fighting the tape it was for nothing. I use either packing peanuts or I use a shredder to make a tight cushion. I find this seems better but it is slightly heavier than wadded paper or peanuts.

I just started shipping but one customer just sent me a email to let me know that 7 out of 8 eggs shipped were developing. BTW the eggs have no way of breathing without beginning incubation. Once incubation begins they release CO2 and it is this gas that must escape, but only after they start to develop. If the eggs are wrapped with the bubble side against the egg they will get as much or more air than if wrapped with paper. And a scrambled egg doesn't really need to breath.

Back
Top Bottom