To candle or not to candle...

Quote:
I only did the 1 ee egg... and it floated?

I guess its alive then.
idunno.gif
I remember reading it somewhere but I cant find it again.

I'm gonna keep waiting
caf.gif
and hoping today, tomorrow, then I dont know... cause it will be day 26, guess I should give up.... Got to put another hatching in this Saturday.

Thanks for this question! We have 5 EE cross eggs in the incubator. First one hatched on on Sunday afternoon which was day 21. Saw a tiny pip in another egg; it took a long time but finally hatched yesterday evening- day 23. A third egg hatched last night- still day 23.

Now we have 2 more eggs and don't see any pips or movement in either and we were wondering how long to wait. From your advice, I think I'll just leave them alone until the morning, then candle if no change. I am going to have to add some more water I think. the humidity has dropped to 55%.

This is our first chicken hatch; we hatched out one duckling last month after setting 3 eggs. One of the duds definitely sloshed around when we candled it, but must have been an infertile. I was wondering what it would like candling an egg when the chick had died inside the egg.

YardFarmer Julie

I just read this...

66. How long should I leave the eggs in the incubator if they do not hatch on the twenty-first day?

Leave the unhatched eggs until the 23rd or 24th day.

*Today is day 24 for these 13 eggs, if they dont hatch by morning, I'm calling it quits
sad.png

The YardFarmers - Good luck with the rest of your hatch, hope they make it.

I opened the last 13 eggs and they were all dead... different stages. Its sad, but I know its nature I'm happy that the other 19 hatched and our doing great! Thanks Guys for chatting with me... I'm starting another hatch this Saturday... I think I'm only going to put 1 bantam and 1 EE egg in the bunch and see if they hatch, if they dont then I'll just want for one of my hens to go broody and give them the bantam and ee eggs from now on.

It's been my experience on all my hatches that any eggs that are going to hatch will hatch within 24 hours of each other. Others may tell you something different, but to me it makes sense just from a biological standpoint, so that a broody hen knows how long to stay on a nest without reaching a point of diminishing returns, hatchwise.

chick-a-bone2 - I totally agree with you... I figured they were dead, I was just hoping
sad.png
I told my husband today that something was wrong, its been too long, the other 19 hatched out Friday and Saturday, if these were going to hatch they would have already done it... thats when I decided to shut down the bator and open them up...

Back
Top Bottom