To Clip or Not to Clip - Chinese Geese

CrazyCluckinJones

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2018
My chinese geese are getting up in age and although at the moment they are in a run (because they tore down the wiring and bit plugs out of two baby pekins) I do plan to reintroduce when all the babies are older.. Should I be worried about them flying off? They're 100% spoiled and would never make it in the wild but when the geese were migrating and they'd hear them come over head they'd run and flap but they had only just come into their big boy feathers then so they didn't succeed! But I worry about them taking off when they're able to get a full run and start! Do their wings need to be clipped? One has an angel wing so I have no idea if he could even attempt. Any advice would be great.
FB says I have 2 males, vent sexing was unsuccessful but I'm guessing no babies will come from these two :(
20190810_132544.jpg
20190810_132544.jpg

I had several Chinese Geese fifteen years ago and they never flew. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about there. I've never tried vent sexing. I'd wait until their head knobs develop before making any definite guesses on their sex. Did you correct the angel wing on the one? The slight issue with his wing doesn't actually look like angel wing to me.

I'm not sure if it's just the way they're both standing, or if there's an age difference, but if I had to throw out a guess I'm thinking you have a male and female. The goose in front seems to have a longer neck and a slightly larger knob than the one in the back.
Without vent sexing or sex link traits, geese are pretty difficult to distinguish until someone lays an egg.

When they're a bit older, you'll know whether or not you need to clip. But right now I think you don't have to worry. :) My pair love to run and flap and get a couple inches off the ground, but they show no desire to fly the coop.

Back
Top Bottom