To Clip Wings or Not To Clip Wings?

Should I clip my d’Uccles’ wings?

• Total voters

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hey y’all,
I have two 6 month old Mille Fleur d’Uccle pullets. I was convinced I shouldn’t clip their wings so they can evade predators, but this little incident has got me wondering.
333EDED5-DF16-4E30-AF51-7DE2A580C7A6.jpeg

They don’t free range because it’s dangerous with our amount of hawks. I was putting them on our patio with my other littles, and one got spooked.

So, to clip or not to clip? They’ll be enclosed in a run when I get their new coop, but in case of some emergency I’d like to have spooked chickens in trees than a devoured chicken.

Hopefully the bird will come down on its own. Would hate to see it go higher up into that Oak tree. I would try to get it down now, try a treat to get it down before you need an extension ladder. Then you can decide if you really need to clip one of the bird's wings. Try reading an article here, before you actually trim a wing. Good luck

Hopefully the bird will come down on its own. Would hate to see it go higher up into that Oak tree. I would try to get it down now, try a treat to get it down before you need an extension ladder. Then you can decide if you really need to clip one of the bird's wings. Try reading an article here, before you actually trim a wing. Good luck
She's down! We got the hoses, a ladder, and an uncut baseboard that was in our shed :lau The other d'Uccle's gotten on the roof before, but came down quick. Our neighbors were watching very intently as we were shooting this poor bird down with a hose!

Ahhh.... The ever so common picture of a bantam on a roof. :rolleyes:
I was absolutely shocked the first time it happened here, but they haven't even attempted to in a while. I think it happens to all of us with Bantams at some point and time 😆 I wonder if all/most of them stop doing this after the excitement of it wears off for them? Bantams, the birds that keep you on your toes 💜

Back
Top Bottom