Escape artist - clip wings?

MidlandChicks

Songster
Apr 8, 2022
North Carolina
One of our 7 month old pullets, Sadie, has decided to start jumping over the fence in the backyard so she can go exploring in the woods.

Usually, they’ll spend their mornings in the coop/run and then I’ll move them out to a poultry cage in the backyard once everyone has laid and then complete free range in the fenced backyard for an hour or two before bed.

I love giving them the option to free range before bed because they love it so much but I’ve had to coax Sadie out of the woods almost everyday now. The others are content and stay in the yard. Would it help to clip her wings a little bit to prevent her from flying over the fence? The fence is 6 feet tall.

Thanks!

I have found that I have had to clip both wings to stop mine flying over the fence.
86C9465C-0F19-45A0-847B-F683B4D39DE0.jpeg

I had a pair of bantams that decided to start flying onto the covered porch. -clipped a wing about twice, and that took care of it. -stayed in the yard without flying into trees and rooftops for the next 8 years without incident (just my experience).

We've found that we generally have to clip wings twice. After that, the birds are usually heavy enough to remain earthbound, and/or by the time of their third molt, they've forgotten they could ever fly. Once in a while there's been a rebel bird that needed a third trim. And we've always only trimmed one wing; it makes them fly erratically.

Back
Top Bottom