To Cull or not to Cull. That is the question,

sdharlow

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
So, I have one Black Australorp Hen left out of my original flock. She is 4 yrs old, and still lays me an egg at least every other day. Sometimes more. I also now have 16 new chicks (27 days old today) that I bought from Murray McMurray. 12 are Hens, 3 are Roos, and one is their mystery chick, which is going to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, and I'm pretty sure it will be a Roo as well.
So I'm trying to decide what to do with the 4 yr old Hen. Can I integrate all of these youngsters into the newly remodeled coop with her? I'm still getting eggs, so, I'm torn as to culling her or not. Still going to be months before we get eggs from the newbies.
Thoughts, and personal experiences greatly appreciated. I'm going to have to move the youngsters into the coop in 2 weeks at the most, so really need to figure this out.

That is what I have been leaning towards. Integrating the 2 generations. Just not sure how to do it. I have 1 coop, and 1 run. No way to keep them separated. It's basically all in or nothing.

I would keep her & see how she works out with your younger ones. She might be a good teacher for them!

X2. I've found if the smaller ones are in the majority it seems to go better. I added two older ones to 8 younger ones with no problem (in the younger ones' pen and run which was next to the adults' run. Then later after two months I moved them all into the adult pen with minimal problems.

So, I have one Black Australorp Hen left out of my original flock. She is 4 yrs old, and still lays me an egg at least every other day. Sometimes more. I also now have 16 new chicks (27 days old today) that I bought from Murray McMurray. 12 are Hens, 3 are Roos, and one is their mystery chick, which is going to be a Gold Laced Wyandotte, and I'm pretty sure it will be a Roo as well.
So I'm trying to decide what to do with the 4 yr old Hen. Can I integrate all of these youngsters into the newly remodeled coop with her? I'm still getting eggs, so, I'm torn as to culling her or not. Still going to be months before we get eggs from the newbies.
Thoughts, and personal experiences greatly appreciated. I'm going to have to move the youngsters into the coop in 2 weeks at the most, so really need to figure this out.
I think I answered this question for you over on homesteadingtoday?

The younger the chicks, the better the integration, I would keep her and see, if she's trouble than ask yourself if you want to cull, just put them out there and keep watch, you'd do that without her in there. My older hens will ignore chicks unless they are broody, then they act differently. She may peck them here and there but that is normal. Give it a try.

Ditto everyone. If you have a dog kennel, you might try keeping her in it for a day or two inside the run so she can see the babies and get used to them being around. Like someone else said, if the babes are the majority, it should be easier.

Back
Top Bottom