To cull or not to cull :(

Yeah, I know guys.
sad.png
I was a paid employee of the Humane Society for a time when I was in college, and I am no stranger to euthanasia. And I knew it would be necessary if I was going to keep chickens. I need to just buck up and take care of it.

Quote:
I hear you, there are times that I waited a few days just to get up the "mood" to have to do a terrible deed. It feels so much better when it is over though:>)

i had to do about 15 day old chicks the other da
hit.gif
y there insides were being born on the out side and i know what you are going through

it took me almost all day to do this but the fastest way i found was take it buy the legs and swing it hitting his head on the edge of the deck or corner of the house or something like that. and it will break its neck it will shut it eyes and it is all over no sounds or anything hope this helps

sounds like splaid (sp?) leg

I am dealing with a chick that has that, it cant be splinted with good results, and they tend to get sores from lying on the ground to much. I would cull mine but my sister has begged me not to, it is possible for it to live if the other leg does not go as well (which it could) if that happens you have to cull it.

Quote:
That sounds like suffocation which is a horrible death
ep.gif

You can take the chick and put his neck between your index and thumb. Have your thumb on the back of the head at the base of the skull and simply push forward hard.
The head should break away from the body if done quickly the chick never feels a thing.

no....ill take him....
hit.gif
i would try taping its leggs first....everyone who ive read has done it, it has worked for in just 2 or 3 days. Yours is a little older so it may take more time. There are lots of people who would want it. A lot of people like me, like the idea of saving the life of a "special" one. There are other options.

P.S. What kind is/was it?

Last edited:
hmm.png
I know its hard but I have raised many types of animals. If you only have a tiny handful of pets you can accomodate "special" animals. However, you also need to make quality of life decisions. I am better at that than my husband who is a really big softie. I hate killing anything but I can take my position as herd leader/flock leader/pack leader etc seriously.

If you really feel the chick needs to go dont chastise yourself - choose a way that seems best to you and just do it. I had a neighbor who used to come over with a big pocket knife and quickly cut off the head... he said it was the quickest way. No one who cares about their animals enjoys this but it is like having a cherished pet dog put to sleep... it is a final act of love and respect.

Back
Top Bottom