To Cut or not to cut wings on peafowl

Peacockvilla13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 11, 2013
Hi , I have 2 couples of Pied and 1 couple of white 10 month old Peachicks that were raise in a coop but I want to let them run loose , my question is Should I cut their flying wings or not :rolleyes:

This picture was taken last year 2013 they're now bigger

I don't think that we can tell you either way. It will be totally up to you. The thing is if they are not tame, they will run off and you may never see them ever again. If you have handled t hem often and you know that they will stick around, you have less chance of them flying away. Then you have to think about if you have predators or not that will suddenly appear and try to kill them or chase them.

The peas that I have, I let out because I know they are not going to fly away. If I had a new pea that was not familiar with my property and the other animals, I would not take a chance and let them out.

As far as clipping/cutting wings, in my opinion, it takes away from their beauty when you have to alter t heir wings. They are such beautiful birds. But like I said, it's just my opinion. I have never and will NEVER cut my peas wing under no circumstances.

No you should not cut them it will only serve to get your pretty peas killed should a preditor come after them, when mine do fly because they are spooked they always fly in the direction of the safe area ,
Are you from texas?

Zazouse i'm in texas
Outside of San Antonio Tx ,and you're right I will not cut their wings .thanks

Hi Zazouse ,please help !!! I let my peacocks out and last night they stayed on one of the trees by my garage 4 of them were on one limb and just the white peahen was by herself on another branch , well we dont know what happen but this morning she was on the ground and cant walk at all , what can I do ? She let me hold her and I check for any blood or cuts but everything looks fine ,we dont have any predators at all cause my dog is awake all night and he sleeps by where the peacocks are ,I have a dog like yours and a German sheperd dog .

My white peahen died :hit and we still dont know the cause of it , she looked fine no blood and all of her feathers were untouched but she died :confused: I dont understand she was just fine and happy to be out of the coop and she stayed on a tree last night and in the morning my husband found her laying and couldn walk or move :th

Last edited:
My white peahen died :hit and we still dont know the cause of it , she looked fine no blood and all of her feathers were untouched but she died :confused: I dont understand she was just fine and happy to be out of the coop and she stayed on a tree last night and in the morning my husband found her laying and couldn walk or move :th

Back
Top Bottom