To cute!! I had to share this!

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Tuesday morning, Early bird hatched out of a batch of 3 eggs on day 19 of incubation. She's a Cochin bantam, and eagerly waited for her siblings to hatch for two more days. On day 21, I was certainly worried. I knew it was hatch day, but why didn't I see any movement, or noise from the other eggs? I candled, and both eggs were dead. Early bird is a lone chick. Not only was she alone, but she hadn't dried fully after two days. I'm wondering if this is because of the high humidity 70-75%. So I took her out to dry under the head lamp. After removing to large chunks of membrane stuck to her, I left her under the heat lamp to dry. As son as I got inside she started peeping extremely loud in a panic.
Soon enough, I released that she has imprinted on me, and with no other siblings, she was sacred, and cried without me. Stuffed animals didn't work, a see no touch setup with a few other pullets didn't work, and the only way to keep her calm was if she was touching me. I couldn't hold onto her forever, and even standing outside the brooder she would freak. Finally, I had an idea. It wasn't a great idea, but it was something.
I called our Yellow Lab Comet into the house, and laid him down on his bed. He's a very obedient boy, so I thought I would give this a try. I placed Early bird in a little space just big enough, between his back leg, his body and his tail. I then gave Comet a plate of peanut butter, and told him to stay. Even after finishing the peanut butter and as I the this now, Early bird is happily sleeping under Comets leg! 😍 She's not panicked, and Comet is doing an incredible job. I used the calibrated thermometer from my incubator, and the temp under his leg has been holding between 89-90 degrees.
Of course, I would never leave them alone, and am sitting at the counter next to them, watching the situation. Comet knows she's there, and is staying absolutely still. I can't be happier on who well this went! It was to cute not to share! Anyone else have adorable lone chick stories like this?
PS. This if for short term. I plan to get her a friend once my other batch of egg hatch in a week, or before them if my local feed stores get chicks in soon.

Oh yes! I never posted that did I. 🤪
IMG_8101.jpeg

IMG_8102.jpeg

They were a pare for sure! 😍💕
R.I.P Early bird. 💔

W-what happened to Early Bird?! The poor thing!
I had a lone chick like that, Flash, my profile picture. For more details read my article:
"Raising A Lone Chick. The Hardships And The Rewards"

W-what happened to Early Bird?! The poor thing!
I had a lone chick like that, Flash, my profile picture. For more details read my article:
"Raising A Lone Chick. The Hardships And The Rewards"
I'm not sure honestly. We ran to TSC to get her some friends. She did great for a few days, but was found passed one morning. The only thing I changed was I purchased an off brand heating plate. I'm not sure if it got to cold, or to hot. They didn't complain about either. It was devastating.
Thanks for your support, your so right, theres rewards, but never without the hardships.

Back
Top Bottom