to free-range, or not to free-range...that is the question

to free-range, or not to free-range...that is the question

• Free-range

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Pen them up

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I understand the appeal of letting them free range but as I see mine as pets I do want to keep them as protected as possible. Plus I don't really want them tearing up the rest of the landscaping (even if it's ugly) or somehow falling into the creek (which I can't fence off, as the county has right of way on it). And I let my dogs run and play in the yard as well, so rather than have two large dogs in a dog run, I've reversed it so the dog run keeps the dogs out. Most folks in my area that have chickens do free range though.

I don't think mine are unhappy being "stuck" in their run as I've tried to make it as interesting for them as I could. There's an overhanging tree for shade, several branches to climb on, garden beds with greens growing past the chicken wire surround, an empty garden bed full of soft dirt to dig through, leaf litter on the ground to attract worms, grass to nibble on, etc. They've all gotten out at one point or another and the first thing they did was try to run back to the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom