To get a cat, or not to get a cat... PICS ADDED, p. 6!

I have three cats...you can come and get them if you want
tongue.png

If I would have known about ducks before I got the cats, I swear, I would never have gotten cats.

Cookie is 19 and senile. She only uses the litter box if she feels like it.
Xena is 12 and refuses to get out of my office chair. SORRY CAT!!! MOVE YOUR FAT FUZZY BUTT!!!
Zeus is only 1 and he is a complete SPAZZ! He literally bounces off the walls.

Only Cookie is mine. We found her as a kitten lost in a snow storm. The other two belong to my son who is off at basic training.

The ducks are as well trained as the cats (as in NOT AT ALL) but at least they make me breakfast!!!!

Last edited:
Our kitties are shut in the laundry room with water and a litter box each night.

best way to pick out a cat is to NOT pick one out. Go to the shelter and let one choose you.
You can train them to not get on the counter by putting mousetraps under paper plates. It won't hurt kitty, and it's pretty effective.

You can keep them off houseplants by spraying them with watered down hot sauce. You'll have to do it every once in a while, but they'll learn eventually.

Mine are staring at me now telling me to get up off my bum and feed them.

Edited to say: spray the plants, not the cats with hot sauce!

Last edited:
I'm down to 7 rescued cats. (I know-I'm the crazy cat lady on this street. lol) I like all cats but my vet told me that the friendliest cats are red/orange males. True in my experience, but lots of other cats are friendly too. Unfortunately my old red male "Retro" passed last Monday.

Imp-Speaking with an extra deep voice right now.

Quote:
sad.png
So sorry on the loss of your buddy.
sad.png
I had a few of the red tabby boys growing up and they were always wonderful.

Didn't even know the red tabbies came in a female version until my mother found a huge female and her 10 (yes, TEN) kittens abandoned at a creek by her. That is how I ended up with my 4 girls I have now......I had to help out with the poor widdle stray kitties.
smile.png

Quote:
Imp, I'm so sorry about your cat.
I also have earned the title of crazy cat lady in my neighborhood. I did TNR for 18 or so ferals about 4 years ago...put food out for 1 and he told his friends. Raised a bunch of litters, and found homes for them. The feral colony is down to 3. I have 13 indoor cats, all rescued.
3 of them are ferals I tamed.
All of them are sweet and loving. I have red and silver tabbies, and a bunch of mutts. Even have a Siamese that was dumped here a few months back that was never claimed after my many efforts. We became smitten.
There's a lot of maintenance having all of them, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Most of them sleep with me. I love all the purrs and snuggles. Heck, it's better them a down comforter!
Love 'em all!
love.gif

Thanks Nerfy & luvmychicknkids,
It's OK He was declining for years and passed mostly peacefully, on my bed. Since I became a homeowner 10 years ago, I have gone from 1 cat to having 7 now, but at least another 6 have passed. Retro's replacement has already been buttering me up. (A huge B&W stray tom-looks like a Holstein Cow)
I have come to an understanding with the cat god, that it's OK if they need to go. Each one is special, but I can offer a home to another in need.

Fractal Farmer,
I'm glad things worked out with your ferals. I remember when you got them.

annmarie,
Caution- cats can almost be as addicting as chickens. The rewards as well. Get a cat or 10.

Imp-meow

Quote:
Imp, I'm so sorry about your cat.
I also have earned the title of crazy cat lady in my neighborhood. I did TNR for 18 or so ferals about 4 years ago...put food out for 1 and he told his friends. Raised a bunch of litters, and found homes for them. The feral colony is down to 3. I have 13 indoor cats, all rescued.
3 of them are ferals I tamed.
All of them are sweet and loving. I have red and silver tabbies, and a bunch of mutts. Even have a Siamese that was dumped here a few months back that was never claimed after my many efforts. We became smitten.
There's a lot of maintenance having all of them, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Most of them sleep with me. I love all the purrs and snuggles. Heck, it's better them a down comforter!
Love 'em all!
love.gif

ah.... there's no better way to warm your heart than to become kitten-smitten!
smile.png

My life had always been filled with cats. Ever since i moved out and got married I cant remember I didnt have a time without at least 1 now i have 2 indoors and 1 outdoor. All 3 were rescue cats. Kittens are cute but rescue cats seem to appreciate you more.

Quote:
My elder lady will be 19 in just about 1 1/2 weeks, and she too has litterbox issues, possibly due in part to senility, in part to a bladder that doesn't have much elasticity left and when she suddenly becomes aware she needs to go, she must go NOW, and partly because her huge arthritic knees may be making it difficult for her to climb into or out of the box (although I have 2 long, low-sided ones and one deep, high-walled one). I figure that for the many years I've had her and she has comforted and loved me, I owe her as much dignity and love (and not fussing about a puddle or pile under my living room end table) as she can stand. I keep a puppy pad under the end table. My second eldest will be 17 in mid-August, and she doesn't have those same issues, but she does have some wobbly steps and the need for an extra-warm spot to cuddle. She has commandeered the fleecy throw I gave DH for Christmas -- the navy blue contrasts so nicely with the tan Siamese hair...
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom