To hatch or not to hatch???

leggomyegg0

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 21, 2011
Robbins
I ordered some Americauna eggs before Christmas... and they were horribly delayed. 10 days later they are finally here... which is a disapointment in itself... but I I open them anyway just to see what condition they arrived in. Packaging looks good... no obvious broken eggs, so I continue to find well package though very delayed eggs... further unwrapping shows that the color is terrible... half of the eggs are a typical blue, not the best colored americauna eggs, but not the worse either... the other half are no where near blue and not even an attractive green-blue... nope... more of a taupe or plain old Khaki... The seller is supposed to re-ship, but I'm not sure if I want even bother making room in the incubator for them...
sad.png

Claudette

Sounds like Easter Egger eggs. Totally a matter of preference - I enjoy my EEs and think they are very pretty. You might inquire about the roos she has over the hens; if the rooster is pea combed and carries genetics for blue or green egg shells, then the khaki eggs may yield green egg layers. If you want true Ameraucanas, it's probably best to buy directly from a breeder who is part of their breed organization, the Ameraucana Breeders Club. You can go to a breeder's website to order hatching eggs or sometimes they are even available on BYC in the auction section.

Quote:
+1

I loved my EE and plan to get more. I agree with everything Chestnut Ridge says. If you have room in the 'bator, may as well put them in though.

Back
Top Bottom