To heat at night or not?

Theora7777

Chirping
May 16, 2022
New chicks momma, I am getting my chicks soon, have a brooder for them for first few weeks. Do I use the heat overnight and if so at what temperature?

New chicks momma, I am getting my chicks soon, have a brooder for them for first few weeks. Do I use the heat overnight and if so at what temperature?
yes, chicks need the option of heat all day and all night. They should be able to escape the warmth, so have the heat lamp on one half of the brooder, or have a brooder/heating plate.
I used a heating plate for my ducklings, and haven't brooded chicks, so I dont know what best temperature is.

They need the option of heat access both day and night, but a brooder/brooding area also has to have cooler areas to allow them to escape from the heat if they don't want it.

I use a mama heating pad and brood outdoors, so the chicks sleep all night under the heating pad, and dip under for naps during the day. The rest of the time they're in the unheated remainder of the brooder which is at ambient outside temperature (I brood in May so around mid-60s F during the day).

Back
Top Bottom