To heat or not to heat.

Miss717

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2011
Rushville, NE
I've heard the rules about keeping heat at 95 first week, 85 second week, etc., but how does one adjust temp with a heat lamp. Is there danger in keeping heat on too long any other info on raising chicks for a new egg would be helpful.
hu.gif
Thanks. PS: I've been told no such thing as a dumb or silly question, but still feels that way.

Move the light up and away from the chicks to reduce heat. If the brooder is large enough the chicks can wander under the heat when needed and in to cooler temps when needed as well.

There is always a fire hazard with heat lamps. They need to be SECURE in a way that would seem borderline paranoid.

change the temp by moving the light higher/lower
smile.png
just make sure there is a place where they can also get out of the heat. they'll regulate themselves, and you can watch their behavior - if they're huddled together under the lamp, they're too cold, if they're as far away as they can get from the lamp, they're too hot. if they're spread out, it's good
smile.png

It's 95 the first week. Then decreasing by 5.
Put a thermometer in the brooder. That's what I did.

If you raise the bulb higher, you get a larger circle of light that is less intense. You could also use a dimmer switch.

ETA: The chicks should sleep under the light snuggled in a little chick raft, not be piled on top of each other. Awake time should be spent wandering around the brooder, not hanging out under the light all of the time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom