To Help or Not To Help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by quiltnchik, Mar 20, 2011.

1. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    I have 8 Rouen duck eggs that are on day 25. However, when I turned them last night I found 3 pipped and immediately moved all of them to the hatcher. Humidity is at 69% and temp is at 100. One of them has its little bill up and out of the egg, but hasn't made progress since early this morning. Should I help or give it longer? This is my first time hatching ducks, but I know this little one has been pipped for at least 24 hours and I'm beginning to worry because I see no signs of it trying to zip. I'm afraid the move from the 'bator to the hatcher may have dried out the membrane. Any advice? Please? [​IMG]

2. KMurphy

KMurphy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    My advice would be to wait for another hour and if that doesn't help then do try and let it out.
    Good Luck!!!!!!!![​IMG]

3. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Your humidity is to low. You need 80-85% humidity for ducks. I don't think the move has caused it to shrink wrap, unless it took you more then 5 minutes, which I doubt. It is most likely shrink wrapped, if you have a hole with the bill sticking out. These holes tend to get larger, but you do not get the rotation to zip along. I would help if it has been stuck for so long. This must be done in stages and not all at once. Try to remove up to 1/3 if you can, but stop if you see bleeding. Wait 4-6 hours and continue. You goal is the half way mark. At that point is no more risk for further shrink wrapping. Do not pull the baby out, simply put it back into the incubator or hatcher and let nature take care of the rest.

4. whitedove

whitedove Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    Good luck! Hope everything turns out hood for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Day 25 is very early- helping in any way before they are due can end sadly in many cases. Increase humidy- mist the egg if nessecary and leave the duckling to do what it can for a while longer. They will rest for 24 hours- sometimes more between pipping externally and begining to unzip - this is important for them to have time to absorb the blood fromthe veins and the yolk.

6. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    I woke up to find one duckling hatched (didn't even know it had pipped), and the other still in the same position. I pulled the one that was having problems, and then carefully but quickly removed the shell from the membrane, making sure there were no veins along the way. It is now back in the hatcher sitting in the bottom of the egg (I left it in that position in case there was yolk that still needed to be absorbed). It appears to be doing well, and is just taking a much needed rest after all the futile work it did trying to get out.

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Quiltnchik, do you have any pictures of the eggs, chicks, and any Rouen ducks that I could use? It's for BYC only.

8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    You need Rouen Pic's? I could send you some.

9. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    turn membrane wrong side don't let him kick it off he will bleed. Then take all egg white and poo away from cords use blow dryer DO not break cords or let him kick them broken and then take white thread and tie around them in knot. 2 ties to make tight knot. do this twice on cord and cut it closer to egg not baby. Tie will be on baby side so he does not bleed. Then blow dry baby. I always peel off all egg shells off of membrame then turn wrong side and put baby's feet on outside of it on towel. Give myself table lamp so i can see what I am doing. By tying it off you make it to where he can't bleed to death

10. Wayne&Kim1963

Wayne&Kim1963 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Covington, OK
    You could be hatching fast cause temp up in incubator. I say if you let nature taking course so you can watch tv and not do nothing. It is alot of work to save a mess of babies. Just don't take them out too fast. I like to leave an egg pipped at least 12 hours. If I have eggs not pipping I will Kindle them and see if I see nose in end of egg and pip egg where nose is at. I have had eggs so tough they cannot pip them especially in geese. You can blow dry babies if egg yolk out little bit pushing it up inside and as it dries will stay up inside some don't and usually a baby will die.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by