To high humidity HELP PLZ!!!!

Was there an image attached? I can't see it so can't comment on how they are looking now.

Yeah I don't blame you at all for trying to hatch upright, I've heard positive things about it too. It may even be fine to do for this hatch. I'm just going off the fact you had a lot in the wrong position last time.

You could even compromise and try propping them up at just a lesser angle so you get some of the benefits of upright hatching but any that happen to have their head in the narrow end stand a bit of a better chance.

There really isn't a wrong choice, there are pros and cons for them all. The cartons also make it a lot harder for already hatched babies to kick the eggs around which is a good thing. I take my little guys out as they hatch to avoid them playing soccer with the other eggs. I also put down a shelf liner that helps the eggs stay in place better (which is good if you leave the chicks in the incubator for awhile so they can't knock the other eggs around as much and so hatched chicks have less chance of splay leg). It takes some time to work out what is best for you and your situation.

I had to start my silkie flock with shipped eggs from multiple different breeders. Things tend to go wrong a lot more often with them and I really upped my hatch rate when I got more hands on. This is a really good article on assisting that may come in handy if you are open to assisting. If you are I'd give it a look over, things like safety holes have saved a lot of my shipped egg chicks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

I hope they are able to hatch without issue on their own though! :fl
They have drawn down some thankfully!!! If they pick at the little end and there is no air cell can they live?because I thought in my mind that if they pick up there they won't pick up through the entire egg shell? Can they pick up through the entire egg shell at the wrong the end? And I attached pictures again so let me know if you can see them!!!

Attachments

• 15990661166615715250964931338391.jpg
    15990661166615715250964931338391.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 15990661572642005814426304479051.jpg
    15990661572642005814426304479051.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 15990661718632824340180873006374.jpg
    15990661718632824340180873006374.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 2
They have drawn down some thankfully!!! If they pick at the little end and there is no air cell can they live?because I thought in my mind that if they pick up there they won't pick up through the entire egg shell? Can they pick up through the entire egg shell at the wrong the end? And I attached pictures again so let me know if you can see them!!!

They are looking much better! I think they stand a good chance at least where air cell size is concerned. :)

Yes they can peck all the way through and have a good pip at the narrow end. They'll likely take longer between pip and hatch as since they don't break into an air pocket the external pip happens at the time an internal usually would.

Sometimes they can have issues hatching when on the narrow end but a lot of the time they make it out just fine. When I have one that pips on the narrow end I make sure that they've broken through both the shell and the membrane (they usually do). If they haven't broken through the membrane you can do it for them at the pip point but be very careful and have a paper towel handy in case a blood vessel is there and breaks so you can quickly stop the bleeding.

They are a little more prone to having trouble zipping, if they appear to be trying to break more and more shell around the initial pip but aren't making progress sometimes you have to help. The article I linked has all the information on how to help safely and signs to look for to tell a baby is ready (it's really important not to get them out before they are ready as they need to absorb their yolk and blood vessels).

They are looking much better! I think they stand a good chance at least where air cell size is concerned. :)

Yes they can peck all the way through and have a good pip at the narrow end. They'll likely take longer between pip and hatch as since they don't break into an air pocket the external pip happens at the time an internal usually would.

Sometimes they can have issues hatching when on the narrow end but a lot of the time they make it out just fine. When I have one that pips on the narrow end I make sure that they've broken through both the shell and the membrane (they usually do). If they haven't broken through the membrane you can do it for them at the pip point but be very careful and have a paper towel handy in case a blood vessel is there and breaks so you can quickly stop the bleeding.

They are a little more prone to having trouble zipping, if they appear to be trying to break more and more shell around the initial pip but aren't making progress sometimes you have to help. The article I linked has all the information on how to help safely and signs to look for to tell a baby is ready (it's really important not to get them out before they are ready as they need to absorb their yolk and blood vessels).
Ok thank u so much!!!!I did not know that they could even survive if they were in the breech position so I took them out of the egg carton and Leanedand the big end up that way if they are breached they can still hatch !!!

My last hatch over half were breached and they all didn't hatch. They were really sticky .I had the humidity to high.so hopefully now maybe they'll pip if there breached 🤞

I've had some shipped eggs before that had a lot of fluid and sticky chicks even though the air cells were on the large side and humidity was on the low side throughout incubation. I think sometimes in the case of shipped eggs shipping does some odd things to the eggs. :hmm

Uhg yeah I hate it when they keep me waiting, I love incubating and hatching but it sure can be stressful! I hope they start internally pipping for you soon and you get much better results this time around! :fl

I've had some shipped eggs before that had a lot of fluid and sticky chicks even though the air cells were on the large side and humidity was on the low side throughout incubation. I think sometimes in the case of shipped eggs shipping does some odd things to the eggs. :hmm

Uhg yeah I hate it when they keep me waiting, I love incubating and hatching but it sure can be stressful! I hope they start internally pipping for you soon and you get much better results this time around! :fl
Me to🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 they need to hurry cuz there killing me 🤣

Back
Top Bottom