To Insulate? Or Not to Insulate? THAT is the question! :-)

I tried white styrofoam and the chickens kept pecking at it to eat it. I then tried the foil faced foam and they tore the foil face off and tried to eat it. So what else is there to insulate with?

Even for the ceiling I wanted it covered with plywood, just in case. They will peck at anything. I used fiberglass insulation in the walls and the foam board insulation for the roof (easier to work with for the roof, but generally pricier).

Agree with all the posts about ventilation, make sure you have enough (tons of posts on this subject).

I say, insulate it! Depending on where you live, summers are really hot and winters are quite cold. If you do insulate it, put in some windows or some vents. This way, if it gets too hot in the summer, you can open a window. My coop is insulated, keeps it warm in the winter, but it sure does get hot in the summer! I wish I would have put a window in there or more than 1 vent from the start!

My vote and opinion is do not insulate. Cold doesn't kill chickens where you are but heat does. Put in the proper ventilation, especially in the roof ridge and soffits and the heat will escape. you have a shade tree nearby...

Insulation is a "people" preference. The chickens themselves will do fine with or without it. The most important thing for them is a dry place that doesn't have a draft blowing on them. However...ventilation is a MUST...

Here is a great post about ventilation and it touches on drafts, insulation, and climates. Always a good read...and totally helped me to plan my coop. We have cold winters..hot summers...and I only insulated my floor to my coop. I never had a bird have issues with heat or get frostbite.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I am build a coop right now and since is WET here 9 months of the year I am being careful to keep in water tight and draft free but decided that insulation would be over kill...though unless I can figure out how to relocate it, I plan to wedge a piece of foam insulation under the nest box floor since it is on the east side of the which is the direction most of our winter winds comes up from.

As long as you ventilate your coop really well, I say it does not hurt to install insulation. There are two types I would recommend. One is R38 cotton insulation, but you will have to get drywall or osb to hold it in. In my smaller coops I have used Aluminum insulation which is a lighter insulation that I install in between the studs and the siding so I don't have to install osb or drywall. Here is a photo example of the insulation that I use.

I think your chickens will be more comfortable winter and summer if you do insulate. I would just make sure you are rodent proof enough that nothing can get in there to nest.

I don't mean to laugh at your post, because I really DO appreciate ALL comments, but I live on a farm. It's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep anything "rodent proof". :) That's why I have 7 cats! :D

THANK YOU for so many responses. I neglected to mention my chickens are free range. They are not contained in a coop or yard. They have 20 acres and their own gardens. They come home to roost and nest. I made them a small fenced in area when I first started raising them, and I have a 4'x15' contained brooder for newbies. I now have 50 chickens and a house would be nice for those who want to use it, and it will be aesthetically pleasing on the property. I've been out watching the sun the past few weeks as the Solstice approached and the treeline to the west filters the Sun around 4:35pm. The house will get full Southern Exposure during the Winter months, unlike where I have the roosts now. It will DEFINITELY be ventilated! I have a hard enough time cleaning the space they have much less having to clean a completely enclosed area. ick!

I think the jury is out for me as far insulation. Since it's not like I'm adding dry wall or anything to the interior, I can always decide to insulate later. I broke my ankle in April so this project is taking a bit longer than "scheduled", since I forget to add "break ankle" to my calendar! LOL. I will post pics when all is done. Thank you all for the feedback and I will continue to follow this post for future recommendations!

Many Blessings All!

Tracy

Back
Top Bottom