To Many Flies!

ChickenyChickeny

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
Since getting chickens, there are more flies in my yard. The hens free range all over the yard, so it's not like there's one concentrated area of chicken poop, so what should I do about the flies?

Put out fly strips? Get a bug zapper? Fly populations go up and down based on many things, and are different each year. It helps to have a plan on how to deal with them. I like strips in the coop if necessary, which isn't every year, and fly bait jars, which stink. Keep stuff as clean as possible as well.

I used to do "poop patrol" ... Walk my back yard with a long handle tong, picking up poop. Couple years ago Hubby made the Chicken House (8 x 12 x 7), limits the amount of chickens I keep (4 - 6, living in a residential area) and the girls stay confined. Read about fermenting feed and poop board, have had no issues with flies and no more "poop patrol" :) Agree with oldhenlikesdogs, Fly Tape cause Fly Traps really smell.

I use the Rescue Big Bag fly traps and they work really well. https://www.amazon.com/RESCUE-Non-Toxic-Big-Bag-Trap/dp/B000BQRQ8C

They do get a ripe smell after being in the sun, but my bags fill up very quickly in the summer.

If you want to have a little fun with them, look for the Lawn and Garden version of the Bug-A-Salt gun. I've killed around 400 flies so far (only had it a week) and having a ton of fun with it. The girls now follow me around because they know they'll be a free lunch after every shot!

I used to do "poop patrol" ... Walk my back yard with a long handle tong, picking up poop. Couple years ago Hubby made the Chicken House (8 x 12 x 7), limits the amount of chickens I keep (4 - 6, living in a residential area) and the girls stay confined. Read about fermenting feed and poop board, have had no issues with flies and no more "poop patrol" :) Agree with oldhenlikesdogs, Fly Tape cause Fly Traps really smell.
How does fermenting feed help with flies? Also how do you ferment feed?

It's much easier to keep your coop and run fly-free, as it is a contained area and can be easily cleaned. My three ladies free range all day in the orchard. We have cedar mulch and decomposed granite paths in there. The ladies scratch in the mulch all day. We try to rake the cedar and let the poop dry out, but there really is no way to get it all clean. There are some flies to manage. We are trying to permaculture the area as much as possible so we have not yet thought of a way to keep the flies eliminated. We check the chickens many times each day to make sure they are clean, reducing the chance of fly strike.

@ChickenyChickeny There's several posts on FF in here (must read), that's how I learned about it. Long story short - Nutrition from feed absorbed easily, no feed waste (fines & scattering), less poop, it's firmer (except the cecal) and no stink, also you will find they drink less water as they're getting it from the FF.

I also have a poop board (another must read) below the roost with PDZ (keeps the ammonia smell in check) & scoop poop as needed. Also doing DLM (another must read) in the Chicken House, shavings sprinkled with PDZ & DE. I keep adding shavings (no lumber mills here & no access to leaves, just grass clippings) as needed.

Depending how many birds you have, I only have 4 - 6 (residential limits) and start off with the smallest bag of Chick Starter. Once that is done I switch to Flock Raiser adding an extra dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying. When you start off remember dry feed EXPANDS when you add water, so make sure the container is large enough. Must not use any metal when fermenting the chemical reaction is "toxic", you may want to start the initial FF in a gallon plastic container to get a feel, it takes a few days to "ferment" but some just feed and keep adding to the mix, in time it will ferment. Some use a plastic gutter/trough style feeder, I use just a plastic dog dish, works fine.

The initial start up you may need to add a bit more but once that's started, to replenish I find 1:1 ratio works for the consistency I prefer to work with. Some posts say water should be 1" above the mix but majority find an "oatmeal" consistency works best. As for feeding, I use a soup ladle, start off with a scoop or two in the morning, refill around 3pm remove any left over for the next day when I close them up. I do not leave feed out at night. Feeding amounts/intervals differ to age stages, you need to figure out your birds.

Sorry turned out so long but hope I shed some light and hope you take the time to read up on Fermented Feeding, Poop Boards and DLM ...

Back
Top Bottom