To many treats?

I give a treat every night and sometimes in the morning. Often frozen fruits, vegetables and herbs. Cold melon is a favorite.

I made some "scratch" with dried mealworms, oats, milo, wheat, pigeon food without corn, raisins and cranberries that I toss out a few times a week.

I give a treat every night and sometimes in the morning. Often frozen fruits, vegetables and herbs. Cold melon is a favorite.

I made some "scratch" with dried mealworms, oats, milo, wheat, pigeon food without corn, raisins and cranberries that I toss out a few times a week.

Yum, Wyldflwr! Your scratch sounds wonderful! Cranberries! Those chickens are spoiled rotten -- just the way we want them, right?
:love

Naturally lol.

It's so hot here it's suggested to not give scratch because corn can raise body temps.

Chickens LIKE to scratch around looking for stuff. What am I supposed to do?

That's my story :D

Ugh and I can't edit my title but that should say TOO many treats? I can spell, I swear.

I am just wondering what is an acceptable amount of treats to give your chickens? I know some people feed their chickens table scraps as a main source of their diet, so in those cases I don't feel too bad, but our chicks get regular feed and my husband seems to think I am "spoiling" them with too much other stuff.
I have a bag of mixed stuff that came from Tractor Supply (labeled as treats - raisins, mealworms, seeds etc), but daily I like to give them fruit and/or veggies. Sometimes I bring them something twice a day, or if they only had one fresh treat I'll throw them a handful of raisins later (they LOVE those).

I don't want them not getting enough of their feed since I know it is balanced for them, and 3 of my 4 dogs are fat so I'm probably easily guilted in to overfeeding. lol.

I am in the same situation! I just posted my thread, entitled, "Too many treats", too! LOL I understand your dilemma, because I love giving them all the goodies. I don't give them junk, as a matter of fact, I buy fruits and veggies, just for them. I peel the veggies and cut them up in their yummy "chicken" salad. It's so confusing....

Back
Top Bottom