To Much, To Bad?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cluckcluck1215, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Free Ranging

Hey peeps :frow

I have a ten gal. tank with a failed-to-thrive Mealworm Farm.The beetles and mealworms died :(
    There is 3-4 in. Of Wheat Bran, Possibley 5 inches.I want to dump the tank out In the chicken coop run, to let them eat the beetles.Is giving them all that wheat bran safe?Or are they hardly likely to eat it?

TIA!

2. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    I probably would not. Meal worms and Beatles aren't bothered by mold--yet chickens are. Compost is probably the best place for it.:caf

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    How long have they been dead? Spoiled rotten? Maybe it's not a good idea to feed this mess to the chickens at all, it sounds like a far backyard dump to me. Mary

rjohns39 and Ol Grey Mare like this.
  4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    Okay well if it's a fail to thrive meal worm Farm, I wouldn't feed it to my chickens because I don't know why the mealworms failed to thrive. there could be some mold in the wheat bran which would make my chicken sick. maybe it made mealworms sick. something happened in that tank to make them die so I would not feed any of that to my chickens.
    I would bag it up and put it in the garbage.
    Best,
    Karen

rjohns39 likes this.
  5. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Free Ranging

Really?

Wow, Ok!I won't feed it to them then.

Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: