To paint or not to paint?

stubbornhill

Songster
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Shapleigh, Maine
Our new coop is being built in the end of our new barn. I have never painted before, but want to do this right. Should I have the roosting poles painted with sand for traction and should I have the nesting boxes painted inside so bugs would be less likely to make their home inside? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yes to both - painting protects and extends the life of the wood.

Congratulations on the new coop!

If you don't paint the wood, then use a wood treatment to extend the wood life and keep the bugs out.

We use tantalised timber, but paint with weatherproofing/fungus/woodworm etc. preventer, too.

Hi from Ga. I would check the label on the paint to see if its safe for animals. Most paint is toxic. There are animal safe paints out there. Good Luck.
big_smile.png

Yes, use a primer and then paint. Both exterior paints.
Chickens don't chew on wood like rabbits, so just be sure they aren't inhaling fumes from the fresh paint. When it's dry it will be easier to clean, brighter, and won't absorb smell like bare wood.

I painted and used gloss paint. Very easy to clean. I had one hen either cut her crest or another hen nip it and there was blood everywhere. It looked like a cheap horror movie inside the coop. 10min of wiping down with water and all was clean.

Back
Top Bottom