To Rescue or Not Rescue, That is My Question

Lady J

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Arkansas
A Facebook friend just asked me if I would be interested in taking in about 12 chickens that have been abandoned. I have plenty of space for some, perhaps not all. I would not take in any roosters. What are your thoughts out there in BYCland? Is this a bad idea?

I can say it would depend on their age and health... but i know me, I would likely take them anyway. Lol :) If you decide to keep them you need to quarantine them well away from your existing flock long enough to be sure none of the new guys have any illnesses they could spread.

If you are considering taking them then I'll assume the present owner is within traveling distance.
12 chickens isn't a minor undertaking. I would go and look at what you are taking on before committing yourself. You may even be able to come to some arrangement regarding quarantining at their current location.

I agree, if you do take them, quarantine them for about a month before you introduce them into your existing flock. You never know what they may have been in contact with. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good luck and have fun...

I rescued 4 Golden Comets that were abandoned. They were thin and sickly and covered in poo from the chicken tractor they were in that was sitting where it was for probably weeks. Honestly, not 100% sure how they even survived as long as they did as they had no food.

Either way, after about a month of quarantining those 4 together near my other birds while they regained their strength- they became some of my best layers.

You never know what you are going to get though. Just make sure you are up for it... and if not maybe post on your local craigslist to find someone who is.

Do NOT EVER take birds you feel sorry for. Just a wreck waiting to happen.

However, healthy tends to look healthy, it is not sure fire, but it is true. Mites and Lice are real possibilities, look them up before you go look so you know what you are getting into.

Free birds always sound so wonderful, but often times there are more costs than you think.

Do NOT EVER take birds you feel sorry for. Just a wreck waiting to happen.

However, healthy tends to look healthy, it is not sure fire, but it is true. Mites and Lice are real possibilities, look them up before you go look so you know what you are getting into.

Free birds always sound so wonderful, but often times there are more costs than you think.

See I am a chicken-hugger and I'll rescue anything even if to just give it to someone else. I can't help it.

Back
Top Bottom