To Roo? OR Not to Roo?

Eliz

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Hi this is my first post here, But I have been doing ALOT of reading!!! One of my many, many, questions is: Do I want fertilized or infertile eggs for eating?

From what everyone says, they all taste the same!
big_smile.png
I had been buying some fresh brown eggs from someone outside of town for a few months, and never knew until I joined the BYC that they were fertile... (when I cracked one open one day to bake I noticed the bullseye) So, I never knew any difference other than that they are much yummier either way than store eggs!

Last edited:
Hens pestered by a roo don't have a chance to eat as much and may lay smaller eggs. This would be especially true if you have less that 8 hens per roo. Roos don't need to eat very much compared to hens who put a lot of energy into their eggs. So they very often seem to have only one thing on their mind... to pester the hens.

I've heard that is really is up to you. If you can't stomach the thought of eating a fertilized egg, then I would forgo the roo. BUT, if you would like fertilized eggs to hatch in the future, then you will need the roo. As far as taste goes when eating the eggs, there really isn't any difference.
welcome-byc.gif

I have been pondering the same question. I am raising 50 chicks and will keep only 15 or so hens for eating eggs. But there is one Rooster I am really getting attached to. But my DH says he will not eat a fertilized egg. I don't know that I have ever eaten a fertilized egg. What does it look like?
hmm.png

Yep, it is a personal choice that depends on alot of different agendas... do you want to raise peeps? Do you want the beautiful sound of your rooster crowing? Do you want the security that a rooster provides his hens?

The complete flock in my opinion, includes a roo. They are trouble for the hens, as well as a comfort for them. Can't live with them and can't live without them?

It's a choice that depends on your tolerance for a perfect flock.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom