To silkie, or not to silkie?

kburruano

Chirping
Dec 1, 2021
That is the question.
Being new to backyard chickens, I only purchased two for my son. Unfortunately, we just lost our one sweet girl. It's December, therefore cold, in PA and I'm in a desperate search for a companion for our remaining lady. I've got a lead on a silkie and a gray frizzle from a friend of a friend. Sunny, our current girl is a Rhode Island Red and White Rock Mix. I've no idea how to introduce and how to keep them warm and safe during winter or where to keep them during the day if they have to be separated. Any info is helpful!

First of all…. :welcome We are so glad you joined! You have found the best community to ask about any chicken/poultry problems you might have! Loads of friendly people as well!

Now, to your question. In order to introduce a new chicken to a flock, you would (95% if the time) have to put the new chicken separated from your current flock, but at the same time, the new chicken and the flock must see each other at all times (or at least most of the times) so when you’ll put them together, there’s a less chance of them fighting. BUT Avery rarely, you could just put a chicken in without separating it and she’ll get along right away. Try which one works best for you, and good luck!

Welcome to BYC.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking -- whether Silkies are an appropriate breed for you or how to integrate birds you've already decided on -- but I'll do my best.

First, where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

Second, what is your coop and run like? Integration requires extra space beyond the 4 square feet in the coop/10 square feet in the run recommended minimums. Additionally, Silkies can't fly and need to have their coops built to accommodate that inability with low roosts/nests and ramps for them to go up and down.

Third, what are your expectations for your chickens? While Silkies have a great reputation as docile pets, they are poor layers, bad foragers, and persistent broodies who will require continual management if you aren't wanting them to hatch eggs multiple times per year. :)

Additionally, your existing girl is a large lady with RIR blood and that breed is frequently considered highly-dominant. Since Silkies are very docile and since chickens often pick at chickens who look different, it's possible that the breeds may not be compatible -- or they might, because there's no guarantees with living animals. :)

That said, here are some articles on integration:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/

Welcome to BYC.

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking -- whether Silkies are an appropriate breed for you or how to integrate birds you've already decided on -- but I'll do my best.

First, where, in general, are you located? Climate matters.

Second, what is your coop and run like? Integration requires extra space beyond the 4 square feet in the coop/10 square feet in the run recommended minimums. Additionally, Silkies can't fly and need to have their coops built to accommodate that inability with low roosts/nests and ramps for them to go up and down.

Third, what are your expectations for your chickens? While Silkies have a great reputation as docile pets, they are poor layers, bad foragers, and persistent broodies who will require continual management if you aren't wanting them to hatch eggs multiple times per year. :)

Additionally, your existing girl is a large lady with RIR blood and that breed is frequently considered highly-dominant. Since Silkies are very docile and since chickens often pick at chickens who look different, it's possible that the breeds may not be compatible -- or they might, because there's no guarantees with living animals. :)

That said, here are some articles on integration:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-“see-but-don’t-touch”-method.67839/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/adding-to-your-flock.47756/
Hi! You actually posted on my previous post "Lonely Girl". Ill repost a picture of my run. I'm in south eastern pa, about an hour and a half north of Philly. Weather is whacky. In the fifties today, gonna be sixties tomorrow and then cold. Anyway, the silkies r more for company for the solo gal, but laying would be nice. The only lead I've found on a chicken to get and keep this one company is a silkie and a gray grizzle. If I don't get those two, she will continue to be solo for the foreseeable future.

Attachments

• 163872938375041241815389166942.jpg
    163872938375041241815389166942.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 16387294102233254523696860230753.jpg
    16387294102233254523696860230753.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Hi! You actually posted on my previous post "Lonely Girl". Ill repost a picture of my run. I'm in south eastern pa, about an hour and a half north of Philly. Weather is whacky. In the fifties today, gonna be sixties tomorrow and then cold. Anyway, the silkies r more for company for the solo gal, but laying would be nice. The only lead I've found on a chicken to get and keep this one company is a silkie and a gray grizzle. If I don't get those two, she will continue to be solo for the foreseeable future.

I'm sorry, I'm just as bad about names on internet forums as I am IRL. 🤣

Have you put an ad in the forums here? Or on Craigslist?

No one can say that your current lady will definitely not get along with a Silkie so if you really can't find any other bird you could certainly try it -- with your eyes open as to what you are getting into.

Very often Silkies or Polish will get mobbed and even killed by normal looking hens that were not raised with them from a young age.
RIR or RIR mixes are known to be racists and rather mercyless in their persuit to keep "strangers" out and away from their premises.

If you are set to get these two new chickens, I would advise to rehome your RIR mix first.

ETA: I just looked at your pictures and judging by the size of this tiny coop it would be best to only house two bantams (Silkies or whatever) in it.

Back
Top Bottom