to soon to mix?

cuckoo mama

Chirping
Apr 4, 2015
I have two silver laced Wyandottes that are about 17 weeks and I have three cuckoo marans that are between 12 and 13 weeks.One of my slw is a bit aggressive and is determined to let her sister know she is first in the pecking order. None have started to lay. I have turned an extra large dog cage into my grow out pen and have kept it right next to my coop. I want to get my marans out of the grow out pen and into my coop. Do you think they are to young to be put in with the slw? I am expecting a problem from my one slw just cause she can get witchy so any advice on joining flock members with an aggressive hen is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have two silver laced Wyandottes that are about 17 weeks and I have three cuckoo marans that are between 12 and 13 weeks.One of my slw is a bit aggressive and is determined to let her sister know she is first in the pecking order. None have started to lay. I have turned an extra large dog cage into my grow out pen and have kept it right next to my coop. I want to get my marans out of the grow out pen and into my coop. Do you think they are to young to be put in with the slw? I am expecting a problem from my one slw just cause she can get witchy so any advice on joining flock members with an aggressive hen is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would integrate them now. The issue of the more aggressive SLW will likely be lessened a bit with regards to any one particular bird. At the moment she is seeming overly aggressive with the other bird because there is only one "target" for her to assert her dominance over - a larger flock means that there are more targets and such directed aggression is generally lessened (your top bird may even find herself being challenged for the spot with the change in flock dynamics)
How much space is afforded to the birds in the area they will be sharing? Do you free range either group at any time?

My coop is 6 1/2 foot wide and 12 foot long.I don't free range because of the hawKS in our area. They will literally perch on a pine tree above my coop when I'm going in and out just waiting for the right opportunity. Eventually we are going to build a mobile style run that I can put them in and move them around the yard.

Ok I took your advice. Got them all in the same coop and from the looks of it penny (my aggressive hen) just lost her spot in the pecking order. My one little cuckoo (just so happens to be the one with yellow feet and legs) is fluffing up and pecking the slw every time they come near. She actually has them leaving the other two cuckoos alone also.

Back
Top Bottom