to switch feed or not switch feed

deanschickens

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
Hello everyone i need some advise. I have 3 week old RIR and buff cochins and they are not on medicated feed TSC doesnt sell medicated feed.They are currently eating Dumor starter/grower 20% and i was wondering if i should switch to medicated feed. MY little ones are not outside yet but still in the coop. I was told once they get outside that they need to be on medicated feed is this true.So do i switch or not. Thank you:)

I just wish I could get unmedicated starter/grower! No one here carries it!

I have 3 21 week olds that are old enough for layer - but as soon as they are big enough I'll be adding in my 6 week old babies - so I figure I just need to keep everyone on Grower until the babies are big enough for Layer too. I know the Amprolium is safe - I just feel kind of creepy about getting eggs from medicated chickens (not that they have laid any yet!)

Do you have a local farm near by? A lot of large scale farmers make their own feed. They use their own grains and corn. That's how I purchase my feed, it's antibiotic and hormone free, 100% organic. I was dead against feeding my babies medicated feed, and the way they grew up so healthy and gorgeous, I'm really glad I wouldn't settle.

I usually do medicated while they are in the close confines of the indoor brooder. Once outside they get unmedicated feed since they are less likely to get into each others poo. Just the way I like to do it.

Quote:
Wow! Must be nice! My feed store only carries the non-medicated feed, when I want the meds!! I end up giving them some watered down sulmet for a little while, just to be safe. I do have some 4 week old chicks that haven't been on any meds, and have been free ranging with mom for about 3 weeks, and they are all fine though. Just keep sulmet on hand. If they do get sick, by the time you know it, it's too late in my experience.

Quote:
Now that I've read this, it seems the only ones of mine that have been sick have been caged up. I don't really have a 'coop', they just roost in the barn. But I have had little ones in a cage before, and I have always lost at least one while they were caged.

Thanks eveery one for the info i am going to stay with the feed i bought they are doing just fine on it and i am afraid to change

Back
Top Bottom