To the pig keepers... Advice please :)

Magpie-ah

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
Are pigs lots of work?

I am wondering If it would be practical to get two kunekune pigs to keep as pets. I love pigs, and would love to experience keeping my own, and perhaps even rearing them for meat one day. I just need to know, are they hard work on a daily basis?

I already know some things about pig care, as I work at a chicken rescue site, where they have pet pigs however I don't know much about living with pigs every day. How much time a day do you spend with them? Would you regret getting pigs, or would you not be able to live without them?

Kind regards xx ... :D :D

GOOD LUCK dealing with pig when it grows big. Then will come time when you decide to terminate pigs life. Will you REALLY BE ENJOYING THAT BACON. I know peeps raise pigs and process them and eat them. I eat ham myself of course. ( from the deli.) TRY EATING YOUR PET.... Well , I don't know you. Maybe you could...
If you want to eat your pig, don't make it your pet.
I can tell you stories about peeps that took their sheep and goats to the butcher. You would need a box of tissues.

I wouldn't and couldn't eat my pet pig, if I got some, but, maybe in a few years, I would breed them and sell the piglets for meat :) I could never kill a pet to eat... I am currently a vegetarian, and will stay one for as long as I need to, but that doesn't mean I can't breed meat pigs for friends and family. :D

I own Berkshire /durocs and I couldn't see myself giving that up no time soon. Even tho people wouldn't keep them as pets because of the size when they become adults and weigh 450lbs. But I keep the mother as some what a pet and don't get a chance to spend more than maybe an hour with them a day because I'm back and toward with my other animals. But when I do I enjoy them....I just came in from her den with her piglets but the thing is with the females that aren't meant to be pets, and well I guess with the others as well they can become possessive over you when it comes to other people. And it can become quite dangerous when it comes to the well-being of the piglets __the next morning she had her piglets I was in the den holding them....a lot of people don't get that privilege with theirs so be careful. And please don't keep food in your pocket as you can become the next meal....not trying to scare you.? LOL......:lol:

We raise hogs for slaughter, so can't really give you personal info from the pet perspective, but here are some things to keep in mind.

how large does this breed get? How much space do they need? How are you going to house them, and more importantly, how are you going to manage the manure? Pigs poop a LOT.

How much will an adult eat? How much is that going to cost you a month, can you afford it? If you're talking about getting a pair to breed in the future, you're talking about keeping an intact male, they're not always the most social or docile of animals. Plus, you're going to need a way to separate them when she comes into season until you're ready to have piglets.

We had our pigs set up for a minimum of day to day work, but again they're for meat and only here a few months. I find pigs are social and have enough personality I really need to limit my interaction with them or I get too attached. We have nipple waterers and a large feeder. Basically a daily check and top off the feeder every few days. Toss straw or shavings in once a week where they poop, that's about it for us.

Not sure about your breed of pig but they make great pets if they stay on the smaller side. I know some people.that raise potbelly pigs and soe that have had them for pets. They are intelligent and able to learn quick. You would want to get them pretty young and in the beginning spend more time with them. They are a lot like squdealing dogs.

I looked into kunekune pigs, loved what I heard, stay fairly small and not very rooty or destructive, but lawd they are expensive

Right now it takes me around 25$ a week to raise my boar, sow and 7 piglets ....keep in mind this is summer once the winter comes it will be around 30 or 40... but ur looking at a smaller bred so u should stay well under 30 if u don't choose the more expensive feed

I have three mini pigs as pets. They are very similar to Kune Kunes. They are very sweet animals, and can get very emotionally attached. Very loving.

Back
Top Bottom