To those that have birds with MG

Im sorry to hear its back again. My appt is Monday for my diagnosis. We have a poultry lab here and the college also does testing. O know it can be expensive but one diagnosis might be cheaper than culling the flock, not to mention the other obvious benefits. You vould contact thw USDA and see if anyone does discount testing. Good luck

Well, new neighbors just bought the property next to us that has been empty for most of a decade and they are getting chickens in the Spring. So, the whole flock is going to go for sure now. I have some friends coming next week to help me. I am thinking of doing all but my few favorites right now and then giving them a little more time. Not much but a month maybe. Its so hard. I haven't been sleeping and every time I think about it I get sick to my stomach :( I just ordered 25 B/B/B Ameraucana from Whitmore Farms for Spring so I can start fresh with MG negative birds.

Thank you for your stories, familypendragon I can't imagine what you're going through!!! This is so terrible!!! I'm scared to cull my birds just to end up with this again. What if your neighbors get infected birds?!

I got some great news today. The test on my chicks came back negitive for MG. Im so happy. I am checking now to see if I have to retest in 4-6 weeks because I ran antibiotics. But for now a big horay!!!! Good luck to everyone whos going through a scare or sickness. Hang in there

I got some great news today. The test on my chicks came back negitive for MG. Im so happy. I am checking now to see if I have to retest in 4-6 weeks because I ran antibiotics. But for now a big horay!!!! Good luck to everyone whos going through a scare or sickness. Hang in there
Happy for you! Aren't you glad you didn't cull?

-Kathy

Of course... id have a problem culling without a diagnosis. If it was not possible/ Affordable I would have tried to find them a home with already effected birds. I have my fingers crossed for the second test

I am also deliberating what to do with mine. IF you are not going to sell birds or hatching eggs or take them to a show, I would say treat and keep. However, if you plan to show or breed, it would be best to start over. That is what I will likely do, but there is always a chance of bringing it in again. If I were not planning to start a breeding program, I would keep and treat my birds and keep them until they stop laying well (2-3 yrs), then start over at that time.

sgraff that's soooo exciting!!! So did you find another diagnosis?!

Thank you JediJinx! It's so tough to decide what to do. I would like to raise a few more chicks but I have no intention of selling any of my birds, including chicks. I feel like this disease is everywhere!

Back
Top Bottom