To use a heat lamp or not

ShanaMcS

Chirping
Apr 29, 2017
Tarpon Springs, FL
Hello! It's down in the 30°s lately, which seems like Antarctica to us Floridian's, and I'm worried for my sweet girls. They seem fine, but it's been pouring rain too. They free range and have access to their coop all day. I have five. I use Sweet PDZ in their coop and fine bedding in their laying area. I do have a heat lamp from when they were babies somewhere in the garage. Should I use that for them and for how long? Should I try to put it in the coop as opposed to the run? Or am I just overreacting? They haven't even been in the coop all day except to lay so maybe they are just fine. I just worry that they have grown accustomed to our Florida weather, and when it gets around 60°, you start seeing the mittens, scarfs and down jackets come on, so I thought maybe my sweet girls might need a little heater. Am I just another crazy Floridian?

A infrared heat lamp is a waste of electricity in trying to elevate the temperature of the building. It heats what it is aimed at and not much of the ambient air.

Anything a heat lamp heats will itself warm the air via conduction and other objects via IR radiation.

Hello! It's down in the 30°s lately, which seems like Antarctica to us Floridian's, and I'm worried for my sweet girls. They seem fine, but it's been pouring rain too. They free range and have access to their coop all day. I have five. I use Sweet PDZ in their coop and fine bedding in their laying area. I do have a heat lamp from when they were babies somewhere in the garage. Should I use that for them and for how long? Should I try to put it in the coop as opposed to the run? Or am I just overreacting? They haven't even been in the coop all day except to lay so maybe they are just fine. I just worry that they have grown accustomed to our Florida weather, and when it gets around 60°, you start seeing the mittens, scarfs and down jackets come on, so I thought maybe my sweet girls might need a little heater. Am I just another crazy Floridian?

One of our neighbors about 2 houses down used a heat lamp...this is TX...it was chilly out and unfortunately it was a disaster. It blew up and caused a fire. The coup was up beside the house. They lost the house and the chicks. Use caution in doing so, if you do.

Back
Top Bottom