Too cold? 10 year old Easter Egger and almost 1 year old Jersey Giants -15F

Monika S

Songster
11 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Hi,
I normally am not worried about the cold. I do have a heat lamp in there that I only use when it gets below 10F. It's a fairly large coop, but I can close the doors and I do have a small vent hole in the top. What worries me is that my Maggie is almost 11 years old and my Jersey Giants are not quite a year yet (they will be in March). Is the heat lamp enough? It's installed on one side of the coop, so they could move away from it if they got too warm, but I'm just wondering if it's warm enough at -15 (tomorrow night). I don't want to lower it, because I'm afraid they will touch it and hurt themselves or burn the coop down.

I've had chickens long enough to have had some hens grow to eleven years and even beyond that. I've noticed that the older hens really appreciate a heat source to warm themselves under when it get well below freezing. Your youngsters will be far less uncomfortable due to their youth and resilience.

10 years old! Congrats that must be one healthy chicken. I have never had anywhere older than 7 years I think. But I have predators such as hawks, dingoes, foxes and also my own dogs.

Thank you. Another 3 months and she'll be 11. I've had my share of predators, but I've been lucky. I have a fenced in yard with 6 feet on 3 sides and 4 on the other. They get to run free in it during the day. At night I put them into Fort Nuggets. After one of my chickens got stolen at night by what I believe was a Fox (he went through the chicken wire into the coop), I built Ft. Nuggets. I have a turn lock and put the hard-wire around the chicken wire with staples AND nuts and bolts..lol. I also have a roof, since we have a ton of Eagles here and also Hawks. One day I had a bird fly against the window and I saw this big shadow.. I ran to the back yard and put the chickens inside. A Hawk was perched in my yard. I was just in time. Another an Eagle circled and then came down in the tree by our house. Again, I was lucky enough to see it. But this cold is a different story. I'm not too worried about my youngens. Maggie on the other hand, the last one I had die of unnatural causes was 10 and got sick in the winter. Not wanting a repeat. I'm hoping closing the door to the coop with the light on will suffice.

Did you ever read the story of the oldest chicken (registered with proof). Peanut passed away on Christmas Day at her home in Michigan, USA, aged at least 21 years 238 days old.
The owner took Peanut and her daughter inside when she was 15 yo, to give her a more comfortable live. She believes it added several years to her life.

Were I live it doesn’t get that cold. So I cant give you a good advice. Just wanted to share Peanuts story:

Your Maggie will most likely survive. However, if you brought her inside you might feel better. By inside, I mean the coldest area of your house. If you have an enclosed porch that is warmer than your coop, then the porch would be best. Bring in a friend for her, too. Put her back with her family as soon as the temps rise.

Back
Top Bottom