To vent or not to vent

Wow, now I want to know how many BTUs I give off!

OP, the only thing I see to add to the great advice already here, is to be wary of drafts on the same level as the chickens when they're sitting on the roost.
Doesn't matter here in Florida, but in Alaska you would want the ventilation well over their heads. You don't want their feathers getting ruffled in a storm, as that allows their body heat to escape from the only location it matters - under their fluffy parkas, not the coop. Seal well around windows and such. A candle test is advised to check for breezes.
If you're still concerned about temperatures, perhaps consider heated roost bars you can turn on in the worst weather, since they directly contact the chicken.
Yes we moved here from Santa Rosa Beach, FL. Def a different ballgame.

Looks like this side is protected from rain by being under the house.
I'd cut this WHOLE section out and cover it with 1/2 inch hardware cloth.
View attachment 3633418
X2.

That is what I would do.

Also.... if you tack up strips of hardware cloth over any wood seams where a rodent might enter... that would keep out the rodents. Rodents are merciless! So many!!!!

Making the run predator proof means you will not have to worry about opening and closing the pop door.

Also... if you are far from the coast, and/or at a high elevation, (colder than closer to the coast) you might want to think about running a light in the coop and run. You can get by with Christmas LED lights or similar, it doesn't have to be super bright....

But the colder it is the more chickens need to eat, and chickens will not eat in the dark.

Oh... I am also on the Kenai peninsula... but high up, so less summer, and more winter.
gotcha!
We live in Soldotna/Kenai. Its def been a rough summer! I have not made the run predator proof yet, not sure if I'll have the time and money to get it done before this winter.
Don't really see bears where we live, moose haven't messed with them, have some stuff to keep the flying predators at bay (fake owls, shiny objects hanging, poultry netting) Did have a raven decapitate my Speckled Sussex before that was in place. :'(
Planning to wrap the deck with 6 mil plastic to help keep the snow out. My problem right now is since the deck isn't covered rain is sitting on the ground here and there where the 12x12 canopy isn't covering. Been adding all purpose sand regularly but can't keep up. Planning to hang a tarp high to help keep the moisture leaking from the deck too.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!

gotcha!
We live in Soldotna/Kenai. Its def been a rough summer! I have not made the run predator proof yet, not sure if I'll have the time and money to get it done before this winter.
Don't really see bears where we live, moose haven't messed with them, have some stuff to keep the flying predators at bay (fake owls, shiny objects hanging, poultry netting) Did have a raven decapitate my Speckled Sussex before that was in place. :'(
Planning to wrap the deck with 6 mil plastic to help keep the snow out. My problem right now is since the deck isn't covered rain is sitting on the ground here and there where the 12x12 canopy isn't covering. Been adding all purpose sand regularly but can't keep up. Planning to hang a tarp high to help keep the moisture leaking from the deck too.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks so much!
@Ted Brown is correct. Mulch will hugely help. If you are still mowing, grass clippings are good.

But, temporarily, toss a pallet over any puddle spots. Also, a stump or sawhorse or something that they can stand on.

For bears... ha, don't even try... if you have an issue then you will need to put up electric fence to keep them out.

My main predators have been:

stray dogs
Eagles
Great horned owls
Everything in the weasel family
Hawks

I haven't had an issue with coyotes or lynx.. but they can be a problem. Moose won't bother anything.

If you wrap to keep put snow, leave LOTS of ventilation, as in weap 2 or 3 sides at most and keep one or 2 entire sides open.

Being close to the coast humidity is high. High humidity will cause frostbite.

Here on the Kenai peninsula it never gets cold enough or windy enough to be an issue.

It is true though that some chickens do not like to walk on snow, so it it nice if you can have some snow free area for them.

Nothing like a "local" to listen to and everything I have read from @Alaskan is sound and practical.

BYC is a network, if one longtimer does not have the answer they will tag someone who does.

I live in an area that has cold and snowy winters. The first year with chickens my run was under the coop, after that I finished the planned adjacent covered pole shed. It took another six months to get the hardware cloth sealed in every nook and cranny. I lost my initial group of Chantecler males one night to mink (I think) and that set my flock objectives back another year. I still worry that my defenses will break down.

I now am able to leave my pop door open which gives me extra hours in the morning before I do the first water/feed run. In the winter that is a blessing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom