To vent or not to vent

I looked at your pictures again and see that you have paneled your inside walls. Have you also insulated the walls?

Insulation inside the walls provides an ideal environment for pests including mice, rats etc. Do some research herein, you will find all manner of horror stories of folks who have added insulation then paneling to keep the chickens away from it. One does not need insulation in a coop!!

Scientific experiments have been done that show that a chicken gives off 10 watts of energy, the equivalent of 35 BTUs. Their feathering with down is designed by nature to retain heat not give it off. A 100 square foot room requires 5000 BTUs per hour to heat.

Wow, now I want to know how many BTUs I give off!

OP, the only thing I see to add to the great advice already here, is to be wary of drafts on the same level as the chickens when they're sitting on the roost.
Doesn't matter here in Florida, but in Alaska you would want the ventilation well over their heads. You don't want their feathers getting ruffled in a storm, as that allows their body heat to escape from the only location it matters - under their fluffy parkas, not the coop. Seal well around windows and such. A candle test is advised to check for breezes.
If you're still concerned about temperatures, perhaps consider heated roost bars you can turn on in the worst weather, since they directly contact the chicken.

Last edited:
I looked at your pictures again and see that you have paneled your inside walls. Have you also insulated the walls?

Insulation inside the walls provides an ideal environment for pests including mice, rats etc. Do some research herein, you will find all manner of horror stories of folks who have added insulation then paneling to keep the chickens away from it. One does not need insulation in a coop!!
we did insulate the coop...paneling on the outside, foam board insulation (the thin kind from HD) and then plywood on the inside. All seams have been caulked. The coop has been up since May. No signs of rodents or pests so far.
Good to know about the difference between giving off heat and retaining heat.

Mice can get through holes larger than one half inch. Unless you were extremely careful it is likely that there will be holes of that size. Caulking will not stop mice, steel wool jammed in is the best approach then caulking to tidy it up.

Fall is the normal time that mice are looking for comfy shelter.

Mice can get through holes larger than one half inch. Unless you were extremely careful it is likely that the Wil be holes of that size. Caulking will not stop mice, steel wool jammed in is the best approach then caulking to tidy it up.

Fall is the normal time that mice are looking for comfy shelter.
thanks! I will keep an eye out for sure! we do have tiny voles around in my woods, but my cats have taken great care of keeping them away.

@Alipete21

BYC is an awesome place, folks with long excellent experience and knowledge more than willing to share.

I recommend that you ask any questions you may have BEFORE you proceed, you will get almost immediate responses, sometimes there will be differences but the combination of answers will give you what you need.

Good luck, chickens are a very rewarding endeavour.

Back
Top Bottom