To vomit or not to vomit?

Hayduke27

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Gunnison, CO
Hi everyone,

I have a poor hen with sour crop. This is day 5. I noticed it on Day 1, massaged her crop and gave her the night to see if it passed. Day 2 she showed no signs of improvement, I massaged the crop again and added cider vinegar to her water (though I don't think she's drinking). Day 3 I got Ketoconazole and tried her give her that (200mg tabs). I had trouble getting her to take it on Day 3, but Day 4 a friend helped me get her to take the pill as well as some stool softener (this chicken had an impacted crop once before, and the stool softener helped).

So here I am, Day 5. Her crop is huge like a water balloon. I don't feel anything solid in it at all. I have been massaging it daily, but it hasn't improved a bit. I plan on giving her the pill again today, but I'm dropping it right into this full crop.

I have been hesitant to try to vomit her. I did it to one chicken in the past with success, but since then I have read about so many people aspirating the vomit into the chickens' lungs that I am very hesitant. However, I hate to see this poor girl get worse. She is only just over a year old, and getting visibly weaker by the day. I will cull her if need be, but I will do what I can to try and save her.

My questions are this: Should I attempt to empty her crop? If not, does anybody else have anything I might try to help her out? Thanks so much!!!!

For me, making her vomit would be one of the last things to try when she is very bad, because of the possible consequences. You need to make her drink that apple cider vinegar water, whether she wants to or not.

You've already tried a lot of things, so if she doesn't improve soon (within a day) or goes downhill quickly I think you should. I don't have any other suggestions, I hope everything goes well for you and your hen!

Thanks FarmGal! I gave her a pill again today and another crop massage. Her breath is getting worse. I hope the night may bring a little relief!

I have used epsom salt drench with good success. 1/2 tsp epsom salt dissolved in 1/4 cup water. Syring into beak slowly but get as much in as possible. Provide plain water (no vinegar) and moistened chicken food only. I don't vomit because I'm a bigger chicken than my chickens. But if she is on day 5 you need to get her well fast so it may help. The epsom salt drench can be repeated in several hours. Has she been eating through this ordeal? A vet visit may be required.

Back
Top Bottom