To wash and refrigerate eggs, or not?

Susan409

Hatching
Aug 4, 2016
I do not have chickens yet, but I've been reading a lot about it. I read that in England, they vaccinate for salmonella, and do not wash and refrigerate eggs, unlike in the US.

For backyard chickens. I wonder which method is better?

What ever method is comfortable for you. I hold my eggs on the counter. Every week, I wash them up (totally not necessary, as it's better to retain the bloom). But, I do at least rinse them, handle each one to be sure a "smudge" does not escape my eye and end up in a carton for a customer. My customers purchase my eggs because they know they are getting a better product. The proof is in the tasting. They do understand that eggs don't need to be refrigerated, and are better with the bloom left on them. I just think that it would be "off putting" to some to get a "smudged egg". Any how, I digress.... once washed or rinsed, they do go in the fridge, since the bloom has been removed. I do like to have at least a dozen kept out of the fridge and not washed at all times, just in case a predator came through and wiped out my flock.

Thanks. That's how I feel about it. So, as to the second part of my question...are American chickens usually vaccinated, or not? I mean back yard, free range chickens, not commercial.

:welcome

I can only speak for my backyard flock. My chickens are not vaccinated for salmonella. In my opinion, they're at far less risk than those in a commercial flock. Practice safe food handling and you have nothing to worry about. Cook eggs thoroughly, don't eat raw eggs or uncooked dough, make sure chicken is fully cooked, wash hands and all surfaces that have come in contact with all raw chicken and eggs.

Well, we do use uncooked eggs once in awhile, like for Caesar salad, but I'd just as soon take my chances with eggs from my girls, as from the store.

I like runny egg yolks and eat cookie dough when I bake. I wouldn't do that with store eggs. :)

ETA - I don't wash my eggs unless they're super dirty. Then I only wash them right before I use them. I keep them on my counter or in the fridge - depends on how much room I have where.

Last edited:
What ever method is comfortable for you.  I hold my eggs on the counter.  Every week, I wash them up (totally not necessary, as it's better to retain the bloom).  But, I do at least rinse them, handle each one to be sure a "smudge" does not escape my eye and end up in a carton for a customer.  My customers purchase my eggs because they know they are getting a better product.  The proof is in the tasting. They do understand that eggs don't need to be refrigerated, and are better with the bloom left on them.  I just think that it would be "off putting" to some to get a "smudged egg".  Any how, I digress.... once washed or rinsed, they do go in the fridge, since the bloom has been removed.  I do like to have at least a dozen kept out of the fridge and not washed at all times, just in case a predator came through and wiped out my flock.  

This is pretty much what I do, chances are 99.9% of your US customers are going to refrigerate the eggs based on habit so I clean and refrigerate prior to sale...

With that I collect eggs and leave them on the counter, and and about once a week (give or take) wash them under just plain running warm tap water with a generic dollar store scrubby (barely a scrubby) dry and put in cartons and drop in the fridge for the customer...

I don't wash or refrigerate our eggs. Any dirty eggs are wash and put in fridge though. We do consume raw eggs... Caesar salad, homemade ice cream and egg nog. I worry far less about eggs from my own hens than store bought.

Our hens aren't vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom