To wing clip or not to wing clip

Thank you, this is very helpful! Unfortunately we simply don’t have enough flat, open area for a run with adequate space for them, so clipping will have to be done if there’s a chance that they’ll fly off.

I’ll definitely see how they behave with one wing clipped, although the perfectionist in me will be a bit peeved at the asymmetry LOL I’ll see if I can get my brother to help—they are supposed to be his after all.

Thanks again!
Well, watch a good few videos, and read several articles.

If you are careful and - maybe after a session or two so you have some confidence....

Yes, they will be missing the tips of their primary wing feathers on one side. But, once you get the hang of it, the secondary wing feathers will “hide” the cut feathers, and they should still have most of their wing color and the clipped wing will tuck up nicely.
.... and
After all
You can only see one side at a time 😉
The balance will change a bit as the molt comes and goes, and the feathers start to grow again.
It’s like clipping your fingernails when you do it right. It doesn’t hurt them. You just have to be mindful as you work, and keep up w the maintenance, esp w mallards that you would like to keep around....

Well, watch a good few videos, and read several articles.

If you are careful and - maybe after a session or two so you have some confidence....

Yes, they will be missing the tips of their primary wing feathers on one side. But, once you get the hang of it, the secondary wing feathers will “hide” the cut feathers, and they should still have most of their wing color and the clipped wing will tuck up nicely.
.... and
After all
You can only see one side at a time 😉
The balance will change a bit as the molt comes and goes, and the feathers start to grow again.
It’s like clipping your fingernails when you do it right. It doesn’t hurt them. You just have to be mindful as you work, and keep up w the maintenance, esp w mallards that you would like to keep around....
After clipping their wings I can definitely see what you mean about the cut feathers being hidden. It doesn’t bother me as much as I thought it would, and it’s for the best in the end.

I’ll be sure to keep regular maintenance on them! Thank you very much :3

Let us know how it goes!
I did my best! I only got one decent-ish picture because they were pretty upset about the process so I didn’t want to restrain them for longer than needed. I hope the watermelon I gave them afterwards is enough for them to forgive me ;-;

I haven’t seen them take any test flights so I don’t know how effective it is yet, but I’m relatively confident that it will succeed. If it doesn’t seem to work, I can always go back to fix them up a bit more.

Hopefully I did it correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_4864.jpeg
    IMG_4864.jpeg
    570.5 KB · Views: 11
I did my best! I only got one decent-ish picture because they were pretty upset about the process so I didn’t want to restrain them for longer than needed. I hope the watermelon I gave them afterwards is enough for them to forgive me ;-;

I haven’t seen them take any test flights so I don’t know how effective it is yet, but I’m relatively confident that it will succeed. If it doesn’t seem to work, I can always go back to fix them up a bit more.

Hopefully I did it correctly.
It does look nice!

Back
Top Bottom